Year 2011 was as busy as ever regarding the development of FastPictureViewer Professional and a good part of the work done on the product was made in response to customer feedback and suggestions. A big Thank You to all those who contributed!
Below is a brief overview of what was added during the year:
- View Filter feature, enabling users to restrict viewing to, say, images with a 5-star rating, those marked for deletion, or those whose file name matches a given pattern.
- IPTC Metadata Editor plug-in, with ability to write IPTC fields like headline, caption, location, copyright, with spell-checking, either within files (JPEG, TIFF, HD Photo) or in external XMP sidecars. The IPTC Editor also features a dictionary-based keyword entry with auto-suggest and search-as-you-type. The program supports pre-defined keyword hierarchies such as the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Collection.
- Comprehensive support for GPS Metadata, with GPS Location displayed on-screen, ability to launch Google Maps, Bing Maps, Flickr or Panoramio on an image’s GPS coordinates, sorting on GPS timestamps, GPS-related selection criteria’s for batch file processing in the File Utilities plug-in, including proximity matching, direction, altitude, speed and more, as well as reverse-geocoding of GPS coordinates in the IPTC Editor.
- Raw compatibility has been extended to support dozens of new camera models from all major manufacturers. In parallel, the optional FastPictureViewer Codec Pack add-in was enhanced to support Photoshop PSD files and CGI formats like DDS, SGI, Softimage PIC, OpenEXR, MPO, JPS, Maya IFF, VTF and more.
- New RGB Eyedropper feature with real-time 1:1 zoom window and shadow/highlight indicators.
- New FTP Upload action in the batch file processor, that can transfer files to a remote internet server using the File Transfer Protocol. Error control and activity logging have also be added to the File Utilities batch processor plug-in.
- Several smaller features have been added (random slideshows, selectable background color, new keyboard shortcuts…) and of course numerous bug fixes and performance enhancements through the entire product.
All in all, more than 50 update releases with fixes and new features were made over the course of 2011, with more to come next year!