FastPictureViewer: CR2 measures half

Anything (more or less) related to FastPictureViewer not fitting in the above sections.

FastPictureViewer: CR2 measures half

Postby angelfab on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 am

Hello everyone,

First I wanted to submit my name is Angel and am very grateful for this application because without it he would see icons of my Canon RAW.

Pardon me if I repeat questions, do not speak English and I write through google translation tool.

My query is this: I install this program on my windows 7 64 bit and shows me correctly the thumbnails of my RAW type CR2 (Canon EOS 450D), I wanted to convert some RAW to JPG with Irfanview and I did but I realized that had halved in size, both width and height measures as weight in kb. I thought it was problem with Irfanview but found the same window as in Windows Explorer, to stop the mouse over those RAW, measures of the images displayed were almost half of the real, in contrast with Photoshop CS4 if they are actual size . Anybody can help me please?

Thank you very much. Greetings,

Angelfab
angelfab

Re: FastPictureViewer: CR2 measures half

Postby Axel on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Some camera models write a smaller JPEG preview file in their raw files. The program shows the dimensions of the preview JPEG that gets displayed.

The codecs have an option to bypass the JPEG preview and perform a full conversion (see the Codecs Configuration Tool), and FastPictureViewer also has its own option to bypass the JPEG preview, see this post for details, but be aware that images converted from the raw data does not reflect in-camera settings (such as sharpening) and that the color balance might be slightly affected too. For previewing and culling purpose the JPEG previews are usually preferable, and viewing pre-made JPEGs is much quicker than performing full raw conversions.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: FastPictureViewer: CR2 measures half

Postby angelfab on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Very tankyou,

Angelfab
angelfab

But one moment...

Postby zczczc on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:30 pm

JPEG previews checks turned off: FPV always use half size, Windows picture viewer use full size but without sharpening and exposure settings.

How to render full RAW-convertion?
zczczc

Return to General Discussions