Embedding XMP metadata

Anything (more or less) related to FastPictureViewer not fitting in the above sections.

Embedding XMP metadata

Postby fox75 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi,
I searched without success on the forum the topic regarding embedded xmp data on CR2 raw files.
In my opinion embedding metadata in files allows easy sharing and transfer of files across products.

Can you tell me when you think to include this feature, I consider this as the only killing criteria to use this tool.

Thanks
fox75

Re: Embedding XMP metadata

Postby Axel on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:20 pm

XMP Metadata can currently be written to JPEG, TIFF and HD Photo files, for other formats XMP sidecars are created and updated. Most XMP-aware applications should handle sidecars just well and FPV move/copies/delete/rename sidecars automatically when the corresponding file is acted upon.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby fox75 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi,
I did not receive new info with your reply, I asked the question because I would prefer to have it embedded:
1) better portability
2) no additional files

I do not know what means to implement this feature, in fact I asked because when I select the option to have it embedded there is the info that is not yet supported and I would like to know if it is on the feature list and when could be implemented.

Thanks
fox75

Postby clauro on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi,

I use Adobe Lightroom and even they do not write the metadate insede original RAW files (like NEF or CR2). They write metadata insede DNG files (a universal RAW format file format made by Adobe).

You can convert your files into DNG and use Lightroom and you will have only one file. ;)

Maybe Canon Software knows how to write data into CR2.
But I do not think that Adobe or others will modify NEF or CR2 files.
clauro

Return to General Discussions