We like faster...

Anything (more or less) related to FastPictureViewer not fitting in the above sections.

We like faster...

Postby malch on Fri May 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for 1.2. Sweet.
malch

Re: We like faster...

Postby MichaelEzra on Sat May 08, 2010 4:10 am

!!!
MichaelEzra

Postby Axel on Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 pm

...but wait, there is more to come in a future build, in an unexpected place, alongside with the upcoming Codec Pack 2.3...
Axel
Site Admin

Postby malch on Fri May 14, 2010 6:49 pm

I will certainly look forward to the 2.3 codec pack.

And, on a related note, I just saw your statement:

"All customers having purchased a FastPictureViewer Codec Pack license from our former reseller before April 24, 2010 will be automatically migrated to the new system within a few weeks, and will be sent new download instructions: no one will be left behind."

I haven't received those instructions yet but I'll be patient ;-)

Please accept my sincere thanks for this policy change. The whole RegNow/updates episode left me a little upset. But you've listened to our complaint and addressed it in an exemplary manner. I really respect and appreciate the way in which you've handled this glitch. You did the right thing and should be proud of it. This grumpy old customer is very happy indeed. Congratulations and thanks again.
malch

Postby Axel on Sat May 15, 2010 3:54 am

You are welcome. I'll make sure former RegNow customers get access to the new download location before or at the time of the next codec pack update.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Tue May 18, 2010 10:49 am

Build 147 should be faster for normal JPEG viewing too: the new JPEG decoder has been enabled for all JPEG operations within FastPictureViewer now.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby malch on Tue May 18, 2010 7:15 pm

Excellent, I'll look forward to that new build as well.

I have another question related to JPEG performance. Most of mine are 4-8MB (i.e. reasonably large files) and have an embedded Nikon sRGB ICC.

Do I pay a price in terms of performance for the Nikon sRGB versus sRGB IEC61966-21? I understand those two sRGB profiles are not identical although the differences are insignificant.

So I'm wondering if FPV does a Nikon sRGB to IEC61966-2 transformation? If so, I might consider batch updating all of those ICC's since I know these transformations are moderately expensive in terms of machine cycles.
malch

Postby Axel on Tue May 18, 2010 10:34 pm

FPV should not perform an sRGB -> sRGB conversion. This Nikon sRGB vs. sRGB issue was tackled long ago and the program simply looks for "sRGB" in the profile name: if the substring is found it assumes sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and does not perform any conversion (unless a monitor profile is set, of course).

Besides that the installers for v1.2.147 have just been refreshed to fix a bug introduced in the initial "147", released earlier today.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby malch on Wed May 19, 2010 3:21 am

Thanks for the info on the sRGB thing. The simple substring match makes a whole lot of sense.

Just installed build 147 and it's looking good, thank you.
malch

Postby Axel on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:40 am

...but wait, there is more to come in a future build, in an unexpected place, alongside with the upcoming Codec Pack 2.3...

The FastPictureViewer Codec Pack was updated to 2.3 with automatic rotation of JPEG files in Windows Explorer, Photo Gallery, Photo Viewer and Windows Media Center for Windows 7 and Vista users, along with performance improvements in raw preview JPEG unpacking, in particular on multicore processors.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions