Support for 3dsmax (.max)

Anything (more or less) related to FastPictureViewer not fitting in the above sections.

Support for 3dsmax (.max)

Postby mariokart64n on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:25 am

hello,
I just bought the FPVcodec, and so far happy with the win7 preview expansion.
But I'm also looking for a win7 solution for (*.max) thumbnail preview for windows explorer.

3Dsmax stores a 24bpp bmp in the max file's header, but I haven't figured out how to read the header.. but anyway do they do custom shells extensions/codecs, and how much would it cost?

max file and extracted bmp zip'd below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?3wczw3ssnl07s4p

-thanks for reading
mariokart64n

Re: Support for 3dsmax (.max)

Postby Axel on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 am

The .max format is unlikely to be supported as it's proprietary and completely undocumented, so unless you are AutoDesk and provide us with specs, I'm afraid we won't be able to support this.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby mariokart64n on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 pm

well, hacking the format won't be too hard, I was able to extract the image with a hex editor. with some time, I can likely document the format, and provide specs for reading the file header.
though I don't know what your opinion is on taking this request. Cause I know some people see cracking a format a form of illegal hacking? and No I am not from Autodesk....

so the question is, if i can provide you with header specs, would you take the request?

EDIT
nevermind, you stated clearly above that you can't take this request. sorry.
mariokart64n

Postby Axel on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:26 am

Never say never: if we can locate a reliable source of information concerning this format we can see what it would take and perhaps consider it for a future version.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions