Why does ExifToolGUI create thumbnails really slowly?

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Why does ExifToolGUI create thumbnails really slowly?

Postby polarbeer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi,

I installed FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 3.1 Trial on my computer. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on i7 4-core with 6 GB of RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 display adapter (with latest Windows driver: 285.62-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe) and so on. So my computer should be quite modern and reasonably up-to-date although I haven't tried to update BIOS etc. on motherboard lately.

I have installed latest ExifTool (8.78) and ExifToolGUI 5.4.0.0, because I would like to modify orientation tag of some of my RW2- and JPG-images shot with Panasonic GH2. For this job, I would like to view my photos in ExifToolGUI as thumbnails, so it would be easy and fast to select the photos, that need orientation-tag-editing.

After deleting all Windows thumbnails using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7, Windows Explorer creates new thumbnails relatively fast, when I open a folder containing much of photos (CR2, RW2, JPG). However ExifToolGUI is really SLOW on this same process!!

Do you have any suggestions, what migh be wrong on my system? On ExifToolGUI-forum I was told, that I should make sure, that I don't have other RAW-codecs installed on my system. I don't know how I can exactly make sure, this isn't the case?

I have also installed Windows hotfix, that was suggested here on FPV-forum, if one has trouble with TIFF images. Aren't many RAW formats TIFF based - so I thought, why not and installed it. I also reinstalled/repaired FPV Codec Pack installation after hotfix installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBH ... um=2619291

Windows 7/Windows Server2008 R2 SP1 All (Global) x64 sp2 Fix380939

(Above mentioned x64 version probably right for 64 bit Windows 7?)

I have unistalled Microsoft's own RAW codec pack and FastStone MaxView 2.2 and 2.5 from my computer. After these uninstallations FPV Codec Pack been installed/reinstalled/repaired many times.

However FastStone Image Viewer and many other image viewers and editors have been installed on my computer for the whole time. Can they disrupt "ExifToolGUI - FPV Codec Pack" -symbiosis and should they be uninstalled too?

-pb
polarbeer

Re: Why does ExifToolGUI create thumbnails really slowly?

Postby Axel on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:33 pm

From what we understand, ExifToolGUI is just a front-end for ExifTool and ExifTool does not have anything to do with any codec whatsoever. You should consider that ExifTool is a metadata editing tool, not an image viewer or format converter. If ExifTolGUI is slow to create thumbnails you may want to ask its author why, I'm afraid I cannot be of any help.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby polarbeer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Axel wrote:From what we understand, ExifToolGUI is just a front-end for ExifTool and ExifTool does not have anything to do with any codec whatsoever. You should consider that ExifTool is a metadata editing tool, not an image viewer or format converter. If ExifTolGUI is slow to create thumbnails you may want to ask its author why, I'm afraid I cannot be of any help.

Thanks Axel for your quick response. Well ExifToolGUI author BogdanH has replied that ExifToolGUI should be able to display everything Windows can display. Here is direct quote from him from a thread on ExifToolGUI forum:

As mentioned, for showing preview, GUI doesn't care what kind of image is needed to be displayed. Even further: GUI actually doesn't check what kind of image that is. The only exception is jpg: if checked in GUI preferences, then GUI rotates image accordingly (because Windows doesn't use Orientation tag value). So, to put it simple, GUI sends the command to windows: "here's a file name, I need a image of Width x Height size" -and GUI will display whatever comes from Windows.
I am explaining this, just to emphasize, that GUI has no influence on speed (or quality) of displayed preview.

BogdanH recommends of having your FPV codec pack installed. Do you happen to know, how to check, that I don't have some camera manufacturer specific codecs installed on my computer? Control Panel's Installed Programs -list, where everybody can uninstall programs, doesn't show any codecs.

Do Canon's Digital Photo Professional or Panasonic's Silkypix Developer Studio install codecs on Windows in a way, that would interfere with FPV coded pack?

I know this is FPV forum but thought you might have enough knowledge on these codec issues. :mrgreen:

- pb
polarbeer

Postby Axel on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 pm

You can try this small command-line utility (http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/bin/EnumCodecs.zip) to see what WIC codecs are installed on your computer.

As for the reply you quoted, it is unclear what is meant by "whathever comes from Windows". As far as I know there is no utility that converts images in Windows. Application programs can use various APIs to load and display images and without knowing what this application is using it's difficult to guess which code is responsible for creating the thumbnails it displays.

Perhaps he's using the system's thumbnail cache (but then this would not work on XP) and the thumbnail cache then uses installed codecs to create thumbnails, so the FPV Codec Pack may be involved indirectly.

Anyway as stated before there is not much I can do. The codecs in the FPV Codec Pack are very fast. Windows Explorer uses the thumbnail cache, which in turn uses FPV codecs to open raw files and it creates/displays thumbnails very quickly.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User