deep folder hierarchy ??

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

deep folder hierarchy ??

Postby boarders paradise on Wed May 27, 2009 5:58 am

Axel said :

FPV is used in scenarios involving browsing deep folder hierarchies containing hundreds of thousands of images (try it!). Most other programs would take a week just to create the thumbs while FPV grabs the files at about 1000 per second.

I don't quite understand what Axel means. Of course it's speedy to have the next image already prefetched. But what is it good for to have 1000 images per seconds grabbed, if you can only view a single one at a time (as there is no thumbnail viewer or anything like that) ... ??
boarders paradise

Re: deep folder hierarchy ??

Postby Axel on Wed May 27, 2009 1:26 pm

The point is you can start displaying images at normal speed in seconds, regardless of the number of images in the hierarchy, instead of having to wait hours for thumbnails to get build.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby boarders paradise on Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Axel wrote:The point is you can start displaying images at normal speed in seconds, regardless of the number of images in the hierarchy, instead of having to wait hours for thumbnails to get build.

Thanks for your reply. What thumbnails? FPV doesn't have thumbnails. I guess you meant thumbnails in applications other than FPV, right ? In that case consider this:

Even the *slowest* page of thumbnails can be overviewed much faster by the user than just sequentially displaying full size images (even with the fastes IMG viewer, such as FPV).

The point I still don't get (sorry for being a bit dumb) is this: If FPV prefetches the next - say - 5 images and has them ready in RAM for immediate display, okay, that speeds things up incredibly! But as you can only view 1 single image at a times with FPV, there really is no need to prefetch 1000+ images per second! Just grab the next 5.

BUT: If FPV could display thumbnails, then this would be exactly the situation, where FPV could show its full strength and speed, because then you would see 1000+ images per seconds displayed on your monitor, i.e. faster than the user can watch them.

Currently FPV is like a Porsche driving on a 50-km/h speed limit road ...
boarders paradise

Postby Axel on Thu May 28, 2009 2:59 am

FastPictureViewer is not a product for everyone, it does a few simple things and hopefully does them well...

Besides that, grabing a bunch of files from a directory, opening a file and decompressing it ready for display, or opening a file, decompressing it and downscaling it to make a thumbnail are three different things. The first one can easily run at more than 1000/sec, the second one perhaps somewhere in the 3 to 30/sec range, depending on various things, and the last one perhaps half of that rate.

Creating 1000 thumbnails per second on a single PC is not possible, even in science fiction, and thumbnails also needs to be cached, which implies a database with all its maintenance liabilities. A line has to be drawn somewhere and thumbnails are beyond that line at the moment.

If you need a thumbnail browser I guess there are plenty of good ones out there, starting with Windows Explorer. When most people finally sees the light and run Windows Vista or one of its successors, where the system creates and maintain a thumbnail database, perhaps I'll reconsider my position.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User