ARW only in 1616x1080?

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

ARW only in 1616x1080?

Postby Wlk on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:36 am

There is notice in supported img formats about ARW files, that they are supported only in preview (1616x1080) with optional full decoding. But there is no info about enabling this option - any tips? Usually I dont need more than preview but sometimes it is just not enough to check if part of picture is in focus or not...

Thanks for any tips!
Wlk

Re: ARW only in 1616x1080?

Postby Axel on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 am

Axel
Site Admin

Postby Wlk on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks for quick help and sorry I didnt find it myself! Only small question or maybe slight bugreport. if I switch to full RAW view, then whole behavior of viewing images gets really jerky even on fast machine (4.5GHz i5 with 8GB RAM). It seems, that FPV starts caching images in background, first few images are viewd fine, but after cca 10 or more shown in fast succesion FPV refuses to do anything else untill cache is fully loaded again. Win7 even shows dialog to close/wait for FPV task. I setup parallel loading, and still my 4x CPU is used to max 35% in taskmanager. I understand that its impossible to preload 24MPx images instantly, but program probably shouldnt be freezing like this. But dont take this as complaint, didnt pay for your program (yet?) - just pointing to potencial problem...
Wlk

Postby Axel on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 am

You need to reduce the amount of preloading when dealing with bigger images. Go to the Resource Usage preference page and move the preload slider all the way to the left. This should readily solve your issue.

If you experience delays when moving to the next image at your normal viewing pace, then increase the slider position slightly until you've found the right balance for your images, on this particular computer.

If one day you upgrade to a faster hard disk, more video memory and/or system RAM, you'll be able to increase the preloading further to take advantage of the new hardware.

That said, ARW files are relatively slow to decode compared to, say, SR2 or other raw formats. The best is to stick to JPEG previews for best performance with those files.

Keep in mind that the preview size was picked by your camera manufacturer and should be representative of the actual image: there is probably very little to be gained from the full-size image in terms of your ability to judge the composition, sharpness and exposure. Moreover the preview is made by the camera itself with all the camera settings and manufacturer "imaging sauce" applied to it, so it's likely to look better than a default raw conversion.

Keep the raw data for full post-processing and printing, and you can still occasionally hit the 'R' key in FPV if necessary.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User