Problem with Olympus E-3 camera tethered shooting

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Problem with Olympus E-3 camera tethered shooting

Postby lkeeney on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:06 am

I believe I have followed the instructions correctly on setting up the camera, etc.

My Windows XP recognizes my camera which is set to the MTP mode. When I run FastPictureViewer Professional, I press Ctrl "T" and I can see the program waiting for an image from my E3. However, under this condition the displays on my camera are dark, and the shutter does not work.

I should explain that I can run my E-3 tethered using ImageCraft E-Capture program with no problem, but this program works with my E-3 in the "Control" mode, not MTP mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can try?

Lawrence
lkeeney

Re: Problem with Olympus E-3 camera tethered shooting

Postby Axel on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Unfortunately some cameras does not let you take pictures when connected throught the standard MTP/PTP mode (they don't fully implement PTP, actually). They were not designed to be used in this fashion and require specific software, usually made by the manufacturer or relying on some manufacturer-provided driver and connectivity toolkit to operate tethered.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby lkeeney on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Thank you Axel.

If this is the case, does FastPricuteViewer have provisions for watching a folder and showing images as they are loaded into that folder? I do have a program (E-Capture) that downloads images from my camera, as they are shot, into a folder of my choosing.

Lawrence
lkeeney

Postby Axel on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes: just open the folder of interest in FastPictureViewer and press T, the program starts tracking the folder's content and automatically displays incoming images as they are added to the folder of any of its subfolders. If you shoot RAW you can use the Olympus RAW codec and FPV Pro to preview raw files too.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby lkeeney on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Thank you again Axel.

This worked perfectly. Using Lightroom it took approximately 8 seconds for download and display. With FastPictureViewer it only takes 3 seconds.

I will be purchasing the program.

Now I just have to figure out things like how to display a full portrait oriented image on the screen.

By the way, your quick response to customer questions is amazing.

Lawrence
lkeeney

Postby Axel on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:56 pm

You are welcome! About rotation, the program can auto-rotate the images based on the EXIF Orientation flag, but not all cameras include this information. I'm not sure about your particular model, but you can turn the option on in the program and see it that helps (see Menu->Options->Display and check the "Enable automatic image rotation" option).
Axel
Site Admin

Postby lkeeney on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 pm

Axel,

Thank you again. What a great program.

Everything works as it should now.

Lawrence
lkeeney

Return to User-to-User