Installation faulty ? - Can't view .cr2 files

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Installation faulty ? - Can't view .cr2 files

Postby Boo on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi,

I installed FastPictureViewer WIC Codec Pack on XP SP2 and I have the problem that I cannot view my .CR2 files.

I think there may have been a problem with the installation or something because all I can see in the "Start/All Programs/FastPictureViewer" menu are two websites "Codec Pack..." and "Donate for..". I do have the "FastPictureViewer Codec Pack" icon in Control Panel but though I have tried selecting and deselecting the "Force use of embedded JPEG previews..." checkbox for Canon CRW, CR2 this does not allow me to see either previews in Explorer or the pictures themselves in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling without any luck.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Boo
Boo

Re: Installation faulty ? - Can't view .cr2 files

Postby Axel on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Windows XP SP2 is not supported. As we mention in the system's requirements, you need at least (the now 2-years old) XP SP3 to use any of our software. Also, XP's antique "Picture & Fax Viewer" will never display raw files as it was not designed to be extensible by the way of external image decoders. Built-in viewing tools on Windows Vista and Windows 7 are codec-enabled and can display raw files once the appropriate decoder is installed.

To display raw images on XP SP3 you need a separate application, such as FastPictureViewer Professional or Windows Live Photo Gallery, just to name two. If installing SP3 is not an option, you can download and install the Windows Imaging Component update from Microsoft, although there are many serious issues with WIC on XP SP2 that will never be addressed, and as such we don't support running our software on that OS anymore.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User