Tagging CR2 RAW files

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Tagging CR2 RAW files

Postby dennisatmph on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 am

Hi there

I wanted to tag cr2 RAW photos, in the picture folder of windows 7, i could do this beautifully on the JPEGs that i could view.

So I downloaded the free trial version of the Fastpicture viewer pro ,
then now, i can see all the CR 2 RAW files, but when i went to tag the photo

this messae came

error 0x8892F50 ,

basically could not tag the photo?

why? all i want to do is to tag the photo in windows 7 from the picture folder ( I could do this becautfifully with the JPAG files )

Do I need to buy the codec package from this website to be able to do this? I suspect the codec from the free trial version is the same thing right?

Please share with me your insight.
thanks much
dennisatmph

Re: tagging CR2 RAW files

Postby Axel on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:41 pm

All our codecs are read-only.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby dennisatmph on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Axel wrote:All our codecs are read-only.

Hi Axel
Thanks so much. Thanks explains why.
What codecs do i need to modify the cr2 raw. do you have any suggestions?

Thanks much

Dennis :)
dennisatmph

Postby Axel on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:28 am

There are none. Even Canon does not write metadata to their own files from their 32-bit codec.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby photoguy1601 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:42 pm

It's possible with Photomechanic v4.6 and most likely new versions as well, so there must be a way! I would be very happy, if you could look into the possibilies of obtaining this with FastPictureViewer, as it is SOO much easier and faster to tag from the preview window.

But I still love your program!

Kaare Smith
photojournalist
photoguy1601

Postby Axel on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 am

Yes but probably not in a Canon sanctionned way. That said, the app you mentionned also costs 4 times more than FPV and their .x upgrades are $100 each. Perhaps they can afford the risks and support costs associated with updating metadata directly within raw files at that price level :?

We still might look into this for a future version, though, when we reach a feature level where FPV directly competes with them. If you look at the roadmap we'll get there, eventually... still, raw metadata editing is a risky business and some users explicitely avoid software that can touch their raw files in any way.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Tagging CR2 RAW files

Postby photoguy1601 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Axel,

thanks for your quick reply. You are right about the costs, I just wanted to answer the other fellow's question if there is a program capable of doing what he wants. I am a professional photographer and love the speed of PM when it comes to browsing and tagging, but I really needed what FPV offers and at VERY reasonable price.

So keep up the good work, I love what you're doing - I think it's a programme that would make mac-users envious!

Best, Kaare Smith
photoguy1601

Return to User-to-User