Highlight clipping warning?

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Highlight clipping warning?

Postby traced on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:17 pm

I discovered FPV2 and I am really amazed by the quality of this program.

As I am doing quite a lot of landscape pictures, the ability to view the result on a bigger screen is a real plus. But I am missing a functionnality that I use a lot: Highlight clipping warning. Is it implemented somewhere (behind the histogram?)?
If not, that would be really nice to have it when viewing pictures...
traced

Re: Highlight clipping warning?

Postby Axel on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:50 pm

There is no such indicator at this time but this feature is considered for possible addition in a future version of FPV Pro.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby traced on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:27 pm

This is a good news...

At the moment I will cope with the "tiny horizontal arrows". Thanks...
traced

Postby Axel on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:55 pm

Yes, the tiny arrows at the left and right sides shows the highest channel value on the dark, respectively bright sides.

Another little known feature is the tiny vertical arrow at the top of the histogram frame, which indicates the average luminance of the image. You'll find out that most "properly exposed" images have their average luminance in the middle tier of the range (of course this is simply an average and high-contrast images, such as rays of light on an otherwise dark image, will not follow this rule).

An image (one of Windows Vista wallpapers) with virtually no clipping and a
mid-scale average luminance, typical of well-exposed natural light scenes.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:49 am

A lost shadows / burned highlights indicator (as well as an RGB eyedropper and 1:1 preview window) has been added to FastPictureViewer Pro.

Just hit the Z key and explore the floating window's context menu: you can select between 100% preview, shadows, highlights and also link the histogram (to get a partial histogram of the region near the mouse cursor).

Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User