Multiple versions of same image.

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Multiple versions of same image.

Postby graham quick on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 pm

After renaming files in a folder previously viewed in FPV browsing shows extra versions ie. old filename + new filename versions despite other browsers clearly showing only the new filename version is in the folder.
I can only assume FPV is using some sort of cache that still contains old version. Anyone know how to clear this cache?

My OS is professional 64xp so I don't see any thumbnails with my installation but don't really want to go to 7 as 64 xp is so stable.
graham quick

Re: Multiple versions of same image.

Postby Axel on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:14 pm

There is no cache of any kind. You need to reopen the folder if you modified its content externally (e.g. renamed files from Explorer) while the program was running.

The built-in thumbnail strip is indeed a feature that lights up only on Vista or later. Sticking with XP 64 is clearly a choice that you can make, but you are missing out on more than a half decade of improvements: in our experience Windows 7 is more stable and better performing than any version of XP ever was :|
Axel
Site Admin

Postby graham quick on Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:43 am

Thanks for your swift reply Axel. I now feel a complete idiot. Earlier I had been having problems downloading images from my flash card, my reader kept disconnecting. (not something that has never happened before, so something I've yet to sort out) Rather than delete the successfully downloaded images before trying again I saved them to a sub folder of my target. After your reply I remembered FPV s ability to read complete trees and sure enough I found I had this option ticked.
Untick....problem solved, thanks.

As you're a developer I value your testimonial to Windows 7's stability so will look into upgrading.

I've been trying to convert my friend to FPV but the deal breaker to him is the lack of a feature allowing side by side comparison of a series of images, wedding groups in his case. The other feature that would benefit us both would be a toggled option that once rated an image would drop out of view leaving only unrated images being browsed.
graham quick

Postby Axel on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:31 am

Filtering (by XMP Rating or other criteria) was suggested before and is being considered as a possible future addition, as well as side-by-side comparison but I've yet to figure out what would be the best "user experience" for those functions.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User