Moving files between sibling folders

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Moving files between sibling folders

Postby graham quick on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Any help appreciated.

my images are filed YEAR/MONTH/ DAY I then browse DAY with QPV and rate images, for example 4 or 5. I then create rules to move images rated 4 to DAY/rated 4 and images rated 5 to DAY/rated 5 so far so good. After applying the rules I now have images in DAY/rated 4 and DAY/rated 5. Now the problem. If I now browse rated 5 with QPV and decide one of the images only merits a 4 rating how can I after re-rating it 4 move it from rated 5 to its sibling folder rated 4 preferably with a new rule or possibly with some sort of scripting, something I'm not yet familiar with. I know I could send it to rating 4 with a rule but this would create a new folder rated 4 as a sub directory of rated 5 ie. DAY/rated 5/rated 4 when what I want to do is move it to DAY/rated 4.

I'm sure there's a way to do it I'm just too thick for it to be obvious. Thanks in advance for any bright ideas.
graham quick

Re: moving files between sibling folders

Postby Axel on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:09 pm

You can probably get around this using relative path in the copy or move action that you built for the batch file processor: a ..\ prefix will move up one level, ..\..\ will move up two levels etc.

The best is perhap to browse your picture subtree from the same folder (so the same set of batch copy/move rules works as expected) and use the "next folder" command, simply the Up/Down keys, to jump from the "rated 5" to the "rated 4" etc in one keystroke, while Home/End jumps to the first/last image in current folder, respectively.

In the (not too distant) future a filter command, which will allow to filter out images by rating while viewing them, will simplify all this.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: moving files between sibling folders

Postby graham quick on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:15 am

Thanks Axel I will try out your solutions but think it might get a bit messy and as you say when filters are introduced won't be necessary.

I've been giving some time to thinking about filters and will post my thoughts soon.
graham quick

Return to User-to-User