FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 2.3 R5

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 2.3 R5

Postby norman on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi

I have just purchased and installed FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 2.3 R5 on my desktop PC running Windows 7 Ultimate X64. I purchased because the Canon Codec does not work with 64 bit OS nor does it support my Canon 1D Mark IV. I am pleased with the product and it works well.

I also have a Netbook computer that I use to download images to whilst out and about. The Netbook uses Windows XP (Home) SP 3. I have installed the product to that computer but am unable to view .CR2 RAW files from my 1D Mark IV. The Netbook does display .CR2 files from my 1D Mark II. However the Netbook does have the Canon codec installed and was able to display those images before the installation of the FastPictureViewer Codecs.

I have tried changing the Control Panel Applet that configures the application to display the embedded JPG in the RAW files. This has no effect (unsurprisingly as my .CR2 files don't have embedded JPGs. I have the display option set to display thumbnails.

Anyone able to suggest a solution to my problem?

Regards,
Norman
norman

Re: FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 2.3 R5

Postby Axel on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:38 pm

However the Netbook does have the Canon codec...

Start by removing the Canon codec, then repair/reinstall the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (which supports the EOS 1D Mk IV just fine) and reboot the computer if asked to do so. There should be only one codec installed for any given file type.

Besides that, all CR2 have an embedded JPEG preview. Older Canon cameras tends to store a smaller image (1/2 resolution) but newer ones, such as the 1D Mk IV, store a full-size preview so our CR2 codec should be left with its default settings (which are to use the embedded preview).

For full-size viewing under Windows XP you can use Windows Live Photo Gallery, which is a codec-enabled application, or our own FastPictureViewer Professional: both with use our CR2 codec to open your files.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 2.3 R5

Postby norman on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Many thanks, that has cured it.

I also had to remove Microsoft RAW Image File Viewer but with that and the Canon Codec removed I can now view the thumbnails in Explorer and open them with Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Norman
norman

Return to User-to-User