Unsharp display in GPU mode

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Unsharp display in GPU mode

Postby MichaelEzra on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:49 am

Hi Axel,

When GPU acceleration is enabled web-sized images (those which need no rescaling) are shown not sharp compared to when in CPU mode, which perfectly matches photoshop.

Running FPV 1.2 build 165 x64 on Win7x64
MichaelEzra

Re: Unsharp display in GPU mode

Postby Axel on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:25 pm

This is good news (sort of) - it means hardware filtering is working with your card 8-)

It may be that the image(s) you are displaying are still a tiny bit larger than FPV Pro's window surface, and that some slight rescaling occurs nevertheless?

If the images are even 1 pixel larger than the window some scaling needs to be done and the filtering kicks in to smooth edges and reduce visible scaling artifacts.

While effective when making significant size reduction, the filtering effectively blurs the image a tiny bit and the result might be perceived as somewhat unsharp when the rescaling was minimal, say a few pixels (depending on the image's content, more obvious if you have things like text elements or sharp edges in some images, and almost invisible on others).

The filtering method is different between the software and hardware modes, so it is conceivable that a difference can be observed between non-GPU and GPU accelerated mode.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby MichaelEzra on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Axel,

Thanks for the reply. This occured with images which are much smaller than the screen resolution.
I observed this on my notebook: VAIO Z VPCZ122GX/S (when NVidia card is switched ON).
I dont have access to that computer at the moment, but if you think screenshots are helpful - can send them in a few days.
The effect is that small images (650px) are fuzzy. Screen resolution is 1600x900 native.
MichaelEzra

Postby Axel on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Can you send a screenshot to the support email, along with another with GPU acceleration off, along with one of the image so I can see the exact dimensions etc? I'd like to see the problem on your computer and attempt to reproduce it here.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby MichaelEzra on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks Axel, I will try to send it over the weekend.
MichaelEzra

Return to User-to-User