Install FPV on other than C:\ partition

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Install FPV on other than C:\ partition

Postby w.wood on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:57 pm

I never install software on drive C:\. The FAQ says that I can install FPV on other than the default location using the following statement on the command line: msiexec /i FastPictureViewer.msi INSTALLDIR="D:\Programs\FastPictureViewer"

I do not know how to use the above statement. I used copy/paste in the Run dialog and it does not work.

I am running Win7Pro 64 bit. Please advise how I can install FPV on drive D:\ or other location.

I strongly recommend that you change the install program to allow users to select the installation location. Command line installation is potentially a trouble maker. I want to try FPV but I must be able to install it where I want.

Regards

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ
w.wood

Re: Install FPV on other than c:\ partition

Postby Axel on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:45 pm

The FAQ is correct, but if you are installing the 64-bit version then the name of the installer is FastPictureViewer64.msi and the command-line must be slightly modified accordingly.

The command should be launched from a command prompt while in the folder where the installer resides: for example if the file was saved to, say, C:\Downloads then you need to start CMD.EXE then issue a Change Directory command
Code: Select all
cd C:\Downloads
...possibly followed by a change drive command
C:
...to position yourself in the proper folder, then run the msiexec command as described in the FAQ:
msiexec /i FastPictureViewer64.msi INSTALLDIR="D:\Programs\FastPictureViewer"
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Install FPV on other than c:\ partition

Postby w.wood on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:07 am

Axel,

Thanks, that worked fine.

Regards

Bill Wood
w.wood

Return to User-to-User