RAW editing

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

RAW editing

Postby eunegis on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi!

Is there a way to use the codecs within editing programs that otherwise don't support a specific RAW file/format (e. g. those of the new EOS 60D)? I. e.: is it possible to install the codecs and use it for editing RAWs in Paintshop, Zoner, or alike? Or is the codec use truely "read only", so that no changes/edits will ever be applied-to/saved-with the pictures?

Thanks in advance.
J.
eunegis

Re: RAW editing

Postby Axel on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:19 am

The answer depends on the application. Programs must be "codec-enabled" to take advantage of the decoders in the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack and the codec subset that ship with FastPictureViewer Professional. You need to ask the software vendor if their product is compatible with Windows Imaging Component (WIC) codecs.

A number of Microsoft and 3rd party applications are already able to open new formats through the use of WIC codecs. Examples includes Windows Explorer, Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Media Center 7, but also Microsoft Image Composite Editor and some 3rd party packages such as IMatch, The Panorama Factory, Sony Vegas Pro and probably others. All those applications can open files they originally don't handle when the proper codecs are installed.

For Photoshop, we have an experimental "Import" plug-in that can use most of our codecs to import files in Photoshop CS. The plug-in comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. This plug-in is available for download from the codecs page and will let you import the "preview JPEG" or an image converted from the raw data, depending on the codec's configuration.

Out Photoshop import plug-in is merely a proof of concept and is certainly not a substitute for proper support in ACR, but it can be used in "emergency". It was tested with recent CS versions but it may also work with other Adobe and non-Adobe applications that support Photoshop Import plug-ins.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby eunegis on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 am

Thanks for your reply!

Photoshop and Lightroom are already working with my EOS 60D's RAWs, even though its a 64bit Win7 system (I wonder why...). Even UFRaw handles RAWs fine, but its a little awkward to use.
I strongly prefer others. Most desirable would be PaintShop Pro and Zoner Photostudio. Do you know anything concerning them? I predict that their support wouldn't be much interested in answering compatibility questions concerning FPVP codecs.

Do I have to install codecs BEFORE applications all the time, or would capable applications notice a usable codec's presence and make use of it even if the codec was installed later than the application?

BTW: what is "ACR"?
eunegis

Postby Axel on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:34 am

ACR means Adobe Camera Raw, it's the raw engine behind all Adobe products.

"FPVP codecs" are Windows Imaging Components codecs and works on 1.3 billion computers running Windows.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby eunegis on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 am

Do I have to install codecs BEFORE applications all the time, or would capable applications notice a usable codec's presence and make use of it even if the codec was installed later than the application?
eunegis

Postby Axel on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:04 am

This is certainly not the case for the applications I mentionned in my initial reply.

As suggested already, you need to contact the authors of the applications you are interested in to get an answer to that question, their SUPPORT department may be able to provide an answer. Our codecs are Windows operating system add-ins and have no control whatsoever on the applications using them.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User