FPV1.3 Only small jpg-preview for LX5

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

FPV1.3 Only small jpg-preview for LX5

Postby j.weber on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 pm

On my laptop (win7 home prof x64) FPV1.3 (B169)x64 displays RAW-images from Panasonic LX5 with 9.0MP only as 2.1MP with 1920x1080 (even indicated so in exif- and rgb-window).
In Windows Explorer + photo-gallery its displayed in full-resolution - so the codec itself works. In system-config I configured the codec not to use embedded jpg for rw2-extension.
So I have no possibility to pixelpeep the LX5-images in FPV.

The same installation-file works perfect on my desktop (win7 ulti x64). The same LX5-files in the same folder are displayed in full resolution in FPV.

Only difference between the two computers is, that on the laptop FPV1.2 was installed earlier - which was not able to decode the LX5, but could also display the embedded 2.1MP jpg.
I tried with new rw2-images to exclude a cache-effect, but without success. Even uninstalling, reboot an new install did not help. Is there a setting somewhere to give priority to embedded jpg?
j.weber

Re: FPV1.3 Only small jpg-preview for LX5

Postby Axel on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 am

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=289, everything is working as intended 8-)

I bet the desktop has a larger screen than the laptop (more resolution, in particular larger or equal to the preview JPEG dimensions stored by your LX5...), which causes the program to fall back to full (and slower) raw decoding because the JPEG preview would not fill the monitor. On the laptop, the preview is "large enough" and gets used for speed.

You can press "R" to initiate a raw conversion on your laptop if you want to pixel-peep, but the program prefers JPEGs because it can display them much quicker. Keep in mind that the JPEG preview size was picked by the camera manufacturer and is supposed to be "enough" to judge the images.

There is a registry setting that let you alter the default behavior, see the aformentionned post, but your laptop may have a slower hard-disk and less CPU/GPU power and memory, so perhaps sticking with the default and just "R" the few ones you really want to pixel-peep is a sensible choice?

Note that this little discrepency only occurs with some compact cameras, current DSLRs often store a 1:1 JPEG preview within raw files and full raw decoding is never required for previewing the files in full resolution.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby j.weber on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes, you win the bet ...
And I confirm that the R-button works. I like that approach to do the more time-consuming conversion only on demand.
So thank you very much for the fast support!
As a suggestion, why not documenting the R-button in the menu and/or in the tutorial? At least I was not able to find that useful button-description.
j.weber

Postby Axel on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:22 am

Yes admittedly the tutorials lags a little behind. I'll address this as soon as I get a minute.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User