FPV RAW codec difference in Win7

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

FPV RAW codec difference in Win7

Postby Kerusker on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:41 am

Hello
on my Sony VAIO F11 with Win7/64 the display has about adobe RGB (aRGB) gamut.
Also I'm using the latest full versions of FPV and Codec Pack (no trials).
I've turned color mgmt on in FPV and I'm using the same monitor profile in FPV as the Win7 standard monitor profile (Sony VAIO display profile_22828_04_D65).
Now the MS Photo Viewer (Windows Fotoanzeige) uses the same RAW codec of the FPV codec pack (PEF in my case) as FPV itself of course. How can it be, that the PEF image rendered by FPV has a strong orange cast when compared to MS Photo Viewer?

If this is how it should be, then why? Which application (FPV or Photo Viewer) is rendering better resp. worse?
Kerusker

Re: FPV RAW codec difference in Win7

Postby Axel on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 pm

I recall discussing this with you on the support email some months ago and we could not reproduce the behavior you observed with your own sample image file (a red flower if I recall correctly) and your own display profile.

As a general remark, Sony Vaio's ultra-glossy screens are very punchy and excellent for general use but not known for their faithful color reproduction, also you are apparently using a stock ICC profile from Sony, with was probably made to make Excel charts and PowerPoint presentations look gorgeous, but may not be adequate for critical image viewing.

Again we suggest that you invest in a proper monitor calibration system and create a custom profile for your monitor. As there are usually many options to choose from in calibration software, there is no doubt that you'll eventually find a compromise that matches your monitor and expectations but this may take some time and trial-and-error.

Maybe some other user can provide advice on what screen calibration tool and settings they use?
Axel
Site Admin

Re: FPV RAW codec difference in Win7

Postby Kerusker on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Axel, thanks for your answer. I'll come back to it in detail later.
Meanwhile I would like you and the other readers to just look at this:

Kerusker wrote:I'm using the latest full versions of FPV and Codec Pack (no trials).
I've turned color mgmt on in FPV and I'm using the same monitor profile in FPV as the Win7 standard monitor profile.
Now the MS Photo Viewer (Windows Fotoanzeige) uses the same RAW codec of the FPV codec pack (PEF in my case) as FPV itself of course. How can it be, that the PEF image rendered by FPV has a strong orange cast when compared to MS Photo Viewer?

The emphasis isn't on the 'strong orange cast' but on the difference in the display of the photo (aRGB PEF), because the photo should be rendered exactly the same.
Could someone please repeat ths simple test on his machine? - Thanks. :D

Remark: One reason for the difference could be that FPV uses WCS-Profiles and the other application(s) use ICC-Profiles. Also applying different Rendering-Intents could be the cause.
Kerusker

Return to User-to-User