A couple questions on the Codec Pack...

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

A couple questions on the Codec Pack...

Postby Bill on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:19 am

Hi,

I am interested in the Fast Image Viewer codec pack for Canon raw file thumbnail viewing, but would appreciate some help with a couple questions first:

1) Does use of the codec pack result in 'any' changes at all to the raw files (are the files themselves modified in any way)? or does it leave them 'exactly' as they were before?

2) The info on the website (see quote below) implies that the codec pack is Microsoft approved (at least that's the impression I get)...is it?
"In our experience, the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is much faster at decoding CR2 raw images [...and] comes with a 64-bit version that will work with the 64-bit version of ICE" -- Microsoft Research (Image Composite Editor Team)

3) If I buy the codec pack will I have the option of installing 'only' the canon raw codecs? or do I have to install all the codecs (even the ones I don't need....like the Nikon ones ect.)?

4) I'm assuming that once the codec pack is installed, it will only affect Raw files...in other words no changes will be made to the codecs/file associations/programs used to load/preview other file formats (tiff/jpg ect)...is this correct?

5) Once installed, can the codec pack be uninstalled via 'Windows Programs & Features' in the control panel (Win 7)?

Thanks for any help,

Bill
Bill

Re: A couple questions on the Codec Pack...

Postby Axel on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:17 am

The FastPictureViewer Codec Pack codecs are strictly read-only, there never modify raw files in any way or form.

Microsoft does not "approve" anything, however one of their teams used our product in conjunction with a codec-enabled application they develop (Microsoft Image Composite Editor, a powerful panorama stitcher). They found our codecs to work great and said so in plain English on their web page: the entire quote is “The table below lists several WIC codecs offered by third parties. We have not tested all of these codecs with ICE. In our experience, the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is much faster at decoding CR2 raw images than the codec provided by Canon, and unlike Canon's codec, it comes with a 64-bit version that will work with the 64-bit version of ICE”, Google should find it easily. Our product is also listed in the Windows 7 software compatibility list, as we indicate on the web page, and we are a Microsoft Registered Partner as well as a Microsoft BizSpark startup company, which means they help us do what we do by providing developement tools and support.

The setup let users op-out any unwanted codec during installation. It is possible to install only what's needed to handle, say, CR2 files and nothing else, however there is no harm in installing the entire package, which is the default option.

The product is delivered as a standard Windows Installer database and is uninstallable from Control Panel.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User