Rating in Windows 7

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Rating in Windows 7

Postby Cheerfulnut on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi,

I hope this hasn't been asked already, but I've searched and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

What I'm trying to do is quickly sort through "keepers"; I do this by going through the pictures (all NEF files) and using FPV to give the pictures I want to work on a 5 star rating. I was hoping that Windows 7 would then reflect this in explorer (under the rating column), but that hasn't happened. Any ideas why?

XMP files are created successfully, but that doesn't help me much with sorting! I just want to quickly rate the pictures I want to keep, sort them after they've all been rated, and then select them to copy into a new folder.

If Win7 doesn't recognize the FPV rating, do you have any other suggestions on how I can sort faster?

Thanks!
Cheerfulnut

Re: Rating in Windows 7

Postby Axel on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Windows 7 does not read XMP sidecar files, it simply ignores them so when FPV is configured to create sidecars only (the default configuration), rating, labels, urgency and all of the IPTC fields are only visible to XMP-enabled applications, like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom (for raw files), IDimager, IMatch and a number of others, but not Windows Explorer.

FastPictureViewer can be configured to write rating and other metadata within standard file formats such as JPEG, TIFF and HD Photo. When this option is enabled, the program writes into the image files and the resulting rating etc are visible from Explorer. FastPictureViewer never writes into raw files however, as this creates more problems than it solves.

See Menu->Options->XMP Rating for all available configuration options.

There are a couple of options to work with ratings directly from within FastPictureViewer, the first being the Views Filter feature (F key), which let you filter images according to rating/label/urgency and copy/deletion/publishing statuses. It is easy to set a filter like "Rating = 5" to only view the 5-starred files in just a couple of clicks. This features works with all image formats, regardless of the metadata writing mode, i.e. it works equally well with embedded metadata, sidecars, or both, for both JPEGs and raws.

Another option is to use the powerful File Utilities plug-in (Ctrl+F) and create file management rules according to the rating values. For example it would be very easy to create a point-and-click rule that copies all 5-starred files to a folder named "5 Stars" and apply the rule in batch mode to all the images. As a matter of fact there is an example doing just that on the tutorial's page and if you are familiar with Microsoft Outlook message management rules you'll feel right at home to create FPV rules. You could use the File Utilities plug-in to copy, move, backup, rename, delete or save files for web or email use (which automatically convert to JPEG, with optional sharpening) according to their rating or other criteria's.

RELATED: View Filters (Getting Started tutorial)
RELATED: Using the File Utilities Plug-In
RELATED: Using FastPictureViewer Professional with Adobe Lightroom (and other DAM's)
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Cheerfulnut on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks for the quick response Axel. I had known that raw files were not modified, but I hadn't know about the file utilities plugin. I'm at work now, but will give this a try when I get back home tonight.

Cheers,
NJ
Cheerfulnut

Postby Axel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:56 am

You are welcome! In fact the File Utilities plug-in is an insanely powerful tool 8-) You could for example select all 5-starred files taken within 500 meters of the Eiffel tower after 20PM and move them to a folder called "Paris by Night", in just a few clicks.

It know about XMP, EXIF, GPS coordinates, file types, dimensions, orientation and a lot of other things about your images, it can also run JavaScript or VBScript programs to help select files or perform custom actions and it runs in parallel on multiple processor cores for maximum execution throughput. It's really worth taking some time to learn how to use it!
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Cheerfulnut on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 am

You could for example select all 5-starred files taken within 500 meters of the Eiffel tower after 20PM and move them to a folder called "Paris by Night", in just a few clicks

That's a little crazy - but sounds very useful! I'm no programmer (wish I were), but will check out the file utility function tonight :)
Cheerfulnut

Postby Cheerfulnut on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm testing out the File Utility and have another question - under the option where I can configure the copy action, it says, "Select the copy destination folder (the path can be absolute or relative)". Can you advise on how to set the relative path?

For example, I store my originals in C:\Pictures\2011\04\21 directory and I want to copy selected images into a new subfolder under 21 (so for example C:\Pictures\2011\04\21\selected). Can I set the destination in the rule to be "..\selected"?

I want this rule to automatically apply to every folder I open (for example, tomorrow I take pictures and I keep them in folder C:\Pictures\2011\04\22 - I want pictures to be copied to C:\Pictures\2011\04\22\selected) - will this rule work?

I hope I explained it clearly enough..
Thanks!
Cheerfulnut

Postby Axel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:27 pm

The relative path notation uses the MSDOS 2.0 dot and double dot convention... Single dot means current folder, double dot means parent folder, i.e. one level up the folder tree. The double dot in your example will create a sibling folder, use a single dot to create a subfolder relative to the current one.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Ken on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:31 pm

I just tried adding a rating to a jpg file with both XMP rating & write to jpg boxes checked. It showed in FPV, but not in Explorer. I tried it with just write to jpg box checked & it would not write rating even in FPV. I get an error "can't write to file make sure it is not read only. error 0x80070057." It is not read only. I also get this error with XMP box checked, but it writes it anyway...to XMP at least & shows in FPV.
Ken

Postby Axel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Your file is likely corrupt in some way or you have hit a bug in Windows Imaging Component. Try rating from Explorer. You will get the same error but then it'll becomes a Microsoft issue 8-) ... This type of problem sometimes happen when a file's metadata was already modified by some application, who left it in a subtly corrupt state. That kind of issue never show up on fresh out-of-camera files and is never induced by FPV itself.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Cheerfulnut on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Axel wrote:The relative path notation uses the MSDOS 2.0 dot and double dot convention... Single dot means current folder, double dot means parent folder, i.e. one level up the folder tree. The double dot in your example will create a sibling folder, use a single dot to create a subfolder relative to the current one.

Thanks, that worked! So basically the workflow is to go through a folder of pictures, rate the ones I want, and when I'm done, run the rule on all the images in the folder. Seems to work well, thanks for the quick responses!
Cheerfulnut

Next

Return to User-to-User