Microsoft Camera Codec Pack

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Microsoft Camera Codec Pack

Postby pstanar on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:31 am

Today Microsoft released new version (16.0.0652.0621) of Camera Codec Pack for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 and Vista. I suspect it is not wise to install it while FPV Codec Pack is installed.

Axel, are you going to spend some time comparing the two? Is there any benefit with going with one over the other (I'm staying with FPV, of course)?
pstanar

Re: Microsoft Camera Codec Pack

Postby Axel on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:23 am

As a general rule, you should definitely not install more than one codec for any particular file format. Both the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack and the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack are fully uninstallable and must be uninstalled (and the computer restarted) before installing the other, or any other similar codec for that matter.

To make any comparison valid the system's thumbnail cache should be cleared before switching codec packs, using the built-in Disk Cleanup utility (after uninstalling but before rebooting). From my initial observations, the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is still the speed king by a wide margin (most strikingly in Windows Photo Viewer, perhaps 3 to 5 times faster) and the FPV Codec Pack supports far more brands and models than Microsoft's, including all the latest cameras.

Both are listed as "Tested and Recommended" by the Microsoft Research team behind the Image Composite Editor.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby DrTeeth on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:12 pm

The only thing stopping me buying FPV, is that knowing my luck, it would appear on BdJ a week later, LOL.

Seriously, buying it now. Could you please let me know if there are changelogs for the frequent (thanks) builds?

Regards

Guy
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth

Postby Axel on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:25 am

No more BdJ and the like for me, thanks. There is a succint change log on the Codec Pack web page and another on FPV Pro's download page. You'll find them if you scroll down far enough.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby DrTeeth on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks Axel.

Bought a licence a few days ago.

Regards

Guy
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth

Postby Chemop on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:48 pm

After getting the on screen message that DNGs and ORFs were not catered for I installed the Windows Camera Codec Pack on my Windows 7 64 bit PC as the first move - but then found DNGs were still not included, so I then purchased and installed the FPV codec as well, but this resulted in most of the meta data being excluded from the detail screen. I then uninstalled FPV and found that both DNGs and ORFs were again not included. I reinstalled the WCCP, so I am now covered for ORFs but not DNGs, nor for that matter PSDs (which would be nice to have). I have the purchased FPV codec available but it is not installed. Please advise what I should do to cover everything and still have the detailed meta data data showing. Thanks.
Chemop

Postby Axel on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:31 am

You should not install two products supposed to do the same thing, and there is nothing the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack does that is not done better by the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: we support more metadata items and far more camera models and raw formats than Microsoft's, including all latest cameras on the market.

The FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is not going to do much good if it's not installed and there is no metadata being excluded by our product: we are the ones that actually exposes all of it to Explorer and Windows Search, unlike Microsoft's products and even some manufacturer's codecs (e.g. Canon)... You probably had the MS product installed and got confused about which one was used 8-)
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Chemop on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks for the info. I'll uninstall the WCCP. Regards Peter
Chemop

Postby Axel on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:50 pm

When we ran our own tests to compare the two products we always uninstalled one, then restarted the computer, then installed the other, cleared the thumbnail cache, then restarted the computer again. This way we made sure there was no left-over from one product when testing the other one, as it's easy to get confused when there is no indication whatsoever regarding which product is actually used. The results were published on our blog.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby sckpsn on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Is there a way to tell which codec package (MS or FPV) is installed?

Is the MS Camera Codec Pack pushed through Windows Update or does one have to download it manually from MS?

Thanks.
sckpsn

Next

Return to User-to-User