How to show file format icon in the corner of thumbs

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

How to show file format icon in the corner of thumbs

Postby kraava on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:27 am

Hi,

I have bought Codec Pack and it's super! But I would like to ask you two questions:

1) I would like to know how to show file format icon in the right bottom corner of the thumbnail. Respectively, I can see this by PDF, INDD and AI file but there is on icon at PSD files. How can I make it works?

2) This question is about PDF thumbnails, I can see some PDF thumbnails and some not. I don't know why, what should I do?

Thanks, Vitezslav Outly
kraava

Re: How to show file format icon in the corner of thumbs

Postby spiehler on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

plus 1 for the 1)!
It would be extremly helpful to differentiate filetypes and so more fastly spot them –
like psd for the going-on work or eps for data-exchange.

(I've got the second problem too, but i think it depends on if a jpeg thumb was included when saving the pdf or not.)

I would further more appreciate anything which will make the codec pack more configurable, like to decied on a per file-type base which codec to be used.
Example: The codec for pdf which comes with Adobe Reader X is better, wheras I would like to use your codecs for psd, ai and eps files (and so on).

Besides this: bought it too and it's super!
spiehler

Postby Axel on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:43 pm

The PDF thumbnail provider indeed relies on JPEG thumbnails that must already be present within the PDFs. PDFs created by Adobe applications all have a thumbnail (as well as other methadata such as XMP and IPTC data, that our thumbnail provider exposes when present).

As for icon overlays this is not a codec issue: install an application that create/edit the files in question (like and Adobe CS suite) and you'll get icon overlays *if* the application in question supplies them!

It may be useful to split the XMP-based thumbnail provider for Adobe vector files in two parts: one for PDF and the other part for INDD/EPS/AI, so they can be installed separately.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby spiehler on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Axel wrote:As for icon overlays this is not a codec issue: install an application that create/edit the files in question (like and Adobe CS suite) and you'll get icon overlays *if* the application in question supplies them!

Here at work I use Photoshop CS5 and it sadly doesn't provide icon overlays (Because out-of-the-box it delivers no psd thumb, only a standard psd-icon, no matter what icon-size. It seems they like to "force" one to use the built-in Bridge, which I don't want.).
Of course this is not related to your codec pack directly.
I only thought that you perhapes know some resources where I can get information of how to adjust this to my likings the manual way (registry settings?) or with some program. I didn't find anything valuable myself.
Any help would be appreciated.

Axel wrote:It may be useful to split the XMP-based thumbnail provider for Adobe vector files in two parts: one for PDF and the other part for INDD/EPS/AI, so they can be installed separately.

This would indeed be a good idea in my opinion.

Thanks for the prompt response.
spiehler

Return to User-to-User