TIGHT! Program, Couple Observations

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

TIGHT! Program, Couple Observations

Postby ziongates on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 pm

I've been using ACDSEE 3.0 for years and It looks like this could be it's executioner. I love the features in this program.

One request add custom hotkey transfers for F1 -F12. For Instance users need to be able to send the currently displayed file or folder to any of 12 (or more) user definable programs (inserting the current file or folder into their command-line params). I saw a little window where you could add programs which is cool, but hotkeys would be great as well. (Users want to minimize screen clutter in a viewing program)

A user could have Keys sending the file to an email program, ifranview , nconvert, winrar commandlines, sending the whole folder to lightroom, opening in photoshop,illustrator etc. (If you can make it more than 12 keys that would be cool too). Photoshop support will be dynamite (I saw that it's being developed)

This app is an ace! I LOVE that mouse click zzoming feature (can the zoom percentage for the left click be set like the right click?)
ziongates

Re: TIGHT! Program, Couple Observations

Postby Axel on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Hotkeys will be wired to external editors, which one I'm not sure yet but there will be hotkeys in a future version.

The Home Basic edition only allows one external editor. The pro version let you configure many.

The left-mouse click "spring-loaded zoom" is not configurable and always zoom to 100%. The main purpose of this function is to have a quick way to check sharpness, which is almost always done at 100% aka 1:1, if you need another ratio you can set the right mouse button to 50-6400%.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Starting from v1.0.87.0 the external editor can be launched from the keyboard using the Ctrl+F1 hotkey. The Professional edition allows to configure several external editors and Ctrl+F2, Ctrl+F3 etc are automatically assigned to them.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Fredrikson on Thu May 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Hotkeys for external editors is great. However the fact that I need to have the External Editors window open within FastPictureViewer for the hotkey to work kind of nullifies the point of this hotkey in my opinion (as what I'd really like is to not have that window open as it distracts from the image).

Great work on constantly improving the program though!
Fredrikson

Postby malch on Fri May 29, 2009 12:07 am

Axel wrote:Starting from v1.0.87.0 the external editor can be launched from the keyboard...

Very nice too. Could we have an option to launch the programs on the External Editors panel with a single-click?

I make extensive use of single-click features in several other programs and this would fit perfectly. It's not inconsistent with the Windows paradigm/conventions (e.g. quick launch toolbar) or the Fast Picture Viewer click-zoom feature ;-)
malch

Postby thibaud on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:54 pm

After years of frustration with image viewer becoming bloated.
FPV sure has everything to make me highly enthusiastic.
Congrats for such an amazing program.

In no particular order, here are my contribution to the topic:

. Compared to the overall "tightness" of the whole program, like some other users here, I find the current implementation of the external editor module rather clumsy. Why not have the external editor menu in the taskbar ?

. What's the deal with the .png decoder ? I'm having 2 issues with it:
1.Distortion on some files (example here)
2.Transparent background. Any reason why is the transparent background color black ? it would be great to have a proper checkered background when alpha mask is used.(aren't transparent png traditionally composited on a white background ?)

. Any information regarding 3rd party decoder development progress ? I'm mostly interested in .psd, .exr, .hdr, .tga.

. Some sort of "Channel toolbar" might be a useful addition, to be able to:
1.Display alpha and/or auxiliary channels.
2.Turn the display of the masking with the alpha channel on&off.
(Disabled if no alpha channel data, ON: checkered background where masked , OFF: original background not masked / white background if transparent png)
thibaud

Postby Axel on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:55 pm

The
need to have the External Editors window open [...] for the hotkey to work

has been removed. From now on the hotkeys will work without the window open.

Distortion on some files

These are always display driver issues. Try getting the latest version for your card, or turn off the GPU accelerated mode, report the problem to your card's manufacturer. Things gets better with time and Vista/Win7 drivers usually work fine (your 31MP image displays just fine on Win7, for example on a mid-range NVIDIA 7950GT with 512MB). You can also tweak the per-image memory limit (set it lower, see Options->Resource Usage) until your driver is happy. You won't get true 1:1 view as the image will be scaled down, but this will work around the limitations of your graphic card / driver.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby thibaud on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Regarding the png distortion, I forgot to mention the first thing I did was testing without gpu support (quadro 3800 drivers 182.65 whql on vista 64, with FPV 64) apart from being significantly slower the distrortion was just the same.
did you try to display that png ?
thibaud

Postby thibaud on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:00 pm

ok, I actually had to higher the maximum memory usage, or just disable the smart image resizing.
sorry about that. had to re-read your reply :)
thibaud

Return to Suggestions