Selecting language

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Selecting language

Postby Sajmon on Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:17 pm

I've downloaded new version (086) and language had suddenly changed from English to German. I'm using English version of WinXP, but everything else is set to Slovenian. Is maybe there a problem?

I suggest an option in the program (not as a switch, because I can't find a way to use "open with" with option) to select a language.

Simon
Sajmon

Re: Selecting language

Postby Axel on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:58 pm

The program uses the user's preferences set in Control Panel to decide which language to load. It looks at the current user's preferences first, then falls back to the system's default if no direct match if found between the user's preferences and the installed FPV language resources.

In your case, no Slovenian FPV language is found and the program thus looks for the system's default, which is almost surely set to German. As a German FPV translation is actually found, it is loaded as a "second best" choice and you now see the program in German.

There are two ways to alter this behavior:

1. Set your system's default language to Slovenian. This is my recommendation as FPV is certainly not the only application that relies on system defaults.

XP: Go to the Control Panel. If you are in Classic view, double-click the "Regional and Language Options" icon. If you are in Category View, click the "Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options" link, then the "Change the format of numbers, dates, and times" link. On the "Regional and Language Options" applet, Click the "Advanced" tab, select Slovenian in the list then click OK.

Vista: Go to the Control Panel. Click the "Classic view" link on the upper-left side of the window, then double-click the "Regional and Language Options" icon. Click the "Administrative" tab, click the "Change System Locale" button, select "Slovenian (Slovenia)" in the list, click OK to close the small window, then OK again to close the control panel applet.

On both systems you also have to option to propagate this setting to the default user profile and reserved accounts. This affects the locale that the system uses on the Logon screen, notably. You may have to restart your computer as Windows is not yet capable of changing some of its system defaults on the fly.

2. Remove the unwanted FPV languages. Run setup again (it should start in maintenance mode). Click the "Change" button, uncheck the non-English languages that you want to uninstall. Click the Next button, then the Change button. Alternatively you can uninstall the program from Control Panel and re-install it without the unwanted languages, by un-selecting them in the options tree that is presented to you during the setup process.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Sajmon on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Thank you for fast response.

On my xp's default language is set to Slovenian, so maybe is this not a problem...

Before I read the answer, I did a search/replace in registry and replaced all this strings:

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\FastPictureViewer\FastPictureViewer.exe"  "%1"
with

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\FastPictureViewer\FastPictureViewer.exe" -lang:EN "%1"

Now "open with" works... But when I will install a new version, I think I will choose not to install other languages.

S.
Sajmon

Postby Axel on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Glad to learn you've found a solution! This was, indeed, a third way to work around the issue.

About the languages on XP (and Vista), there are two separate and independant setting, one per-user and another which acts as the system default. Both are completely independant from the OS's own language. I don't doubt that your user's settings are correct, but I suggest that you nevertheless check the system's default, as described above.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions