Interface functionality request/suggestions

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Interface functionality request/suggestions

Postby Blank Xavier on Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 am

Hi, Axel.

My LCD monitor after seven years of excellent service died two days ago.

I've been catching up on the current LCD technology scene.

Extended colour gamet monitors have existed for two years or so now (e.g. LED backlight).

To use these monitors with existing imagery and video requires colour correction - which in turn requires me to find a new image viewer (I've used an old version of ACDSee, pre-bloat, and XNView, for the high quality resize).

After a bit of hunting, I found FastPictureViewer.

From my personal point of view, all the important stuff is present - colour correction, high quality resize, minimalism. Missing however are minor but crucial aspects of interface functionality, namely;

1. multiple concurrent instances of the viewer (clicking on another image currently loads that image into the currently open viewer)
2. ability to step the zoom (in say 10% increments) via the scroll wheel and/or the -/+ keys
3. clamping the window borders to the image size
4. configurable choice whether to open images at their real size or whether to scale them to the screen size

For point 3, clamping, what I mean is;

. if an image is larger than the screen, it should follow the configuration described in 4, and so either fully occupy the screen (the window will be the screen size) or be resized to fit on the longest axis, in which case the window on the shorter axis will be clamped to the image size

. if an image is smaller than the screen, it should follow the configuration described in 4, and so if the image is opened at its real size, the window borders should be clamped to the image size

Of them all, number 1 is vital; I simply cannot use a single instance viewer.
Blank Xavier

Re: interface functionality request/suggestions

Postby Axel on Tue May 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Sorry for your old monitor :cry:

FastPictureViewer is a single instance application. Part of it's performance comes from aggressive use of system resources like I/O bandwidth and memory, and running several competing instances would be counter-productive.

You can lock the program to 100% view mode by pressing the Enter key (pressing Enter again will revert to the default fit-to-window behavior).

The window size will not change to match the current image size, partly because Direct3D is not resize-friendly.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Blank Xavier on Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Axel wrote:Sorry for your old monitor :cry:

It's gone to the great display in the sky :-)

FastPictureViewer is a single instance application. Part of it's performance comes from aggressive use of system resources like I/O bandwidth and memory, and running several competing instances would be counter-productive.

Only if multiple instances were loading images concurrently.

I need to compare multiple images concurrently; being able to only load a single image seems just, well, crazy. Why limit users in this way? if they want or need only a single instance, they can run only a single instance. But if they need more, *they do*, and *forcefully preventing them* from being able to run more instances exactly and precisely renders the application useless. I see no advantage in taking the choice away; it only acts to impose your choice on the user and in doing so renders a class of users unable to use the application.

Put it another way; you I believe have done this because you are concerns that the reduction in performance from mulitple concurrent decodes will lead users to imagine performance is poor and not use the application.

That may or may not occur, since users I think by and large know well that concurrent decodes will naturally be slower; BUT you can be CERTAIN that you HAVE stopped users from using the application by being single instance.

Which of these two costs you more?

You can lock the program to 100% view mode by pressing the Enter key (pressing Enter again will revert to the default fit-to-window behavior).

Yes - I found this out, afterwards. It would be nice as a menu option, since I only found out from reading a post in the forum.

The window size will not change to match the current image size, partly because Direct3D is not resize-friendly.

I'm puzzled by that answer. You must know the size of the image post-resize. It is straightforward in Win32 to specify and/or modify the size of a window. What problem does using Direct3D cause?
Blank Xavier

Postby Axel on Wed May 27, 2009 3:02 am

I think I already answered the best I can. FastPictureViewer will never be a multi-instance app, and the main window will never change it's size without the user explicitely doing so. I hope you got answers to your questions.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions