another couple of suggestions

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

another couple of suggestions

Postby erix on Fri May 29, 2009 2:01 pm

First of all - best user interface, consistent swiss quality ! :)

My first remarks are
1) "High quality image downsampling" does not work. It looks practically the same with or without it. Or does it work only when hardware acceleraion is checked ?

2) There should be way to disable "GPU acceleration" option from command line. I checked this option and FPV crashes my XP every time I start it.

3) Another wote for zoom buttons. "Fit width" would be nice, especially for vertical photos, they appear too small.

4) EXIF window could show file name as well. When I work in full screen with hidden taskbar I can't see file name.
erix

Re: another couple of suggestions

Postby Axel on Sat May 30, 2009 3:29 am

The downsampling filtering does work, but the algorithm used when GPU acceleration is off is not that good indeed. Depending on the scaling ratio the effect can be more or less visible. When Direct3D acceleration is enabled the filtering is done by the graphic card and the effect is marked, yet instantaneous.

I suggest that you update your display driver, on startup the program does little more than initializing Direct3D and if this causes a crash (you can send the crash dump, by the way) then the chances are great that the driver is faulty.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby erix on Sat May 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Probably Intel GPUs are not best. I tried FPV on two notebooks XP+Intel 945 and vista+Intel 965. On XP it crashes (indeed, looks like incompatible driver), on vista it works (installed latest driver), but I can not see visual difference with or witout GPU acceleration

But here is my next suggestion: I often shoot in JPG+RAW mode and it would be extremely handy if FPV could copy to KEEP folder both JPG and RAW files.
erix

Postby Axel on Sun May 31, 2009 1:49 am

erix wrote:But here is my next suggestion: I often shoot in JPG+RAW mode and it would be extremely handy if FPV could copy to KEEP folder both JPG and RAW files.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/prophoto/#jpeg_raw
Axel
Site Admin

Postby erix on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:06 am

Well, pro version looks more tempting... if only it could offer better CPU based downsampling :)
erix

Return to Suggestions