Zoom / fit / remove black bars letterbox mode

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Zoom / fit / remove black bars letterbox mode

Postby ianb on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 am

Not sure of the best name for this feature, but I'd like a mode where the image is zoomed a little more so that the horizontal and/or vertical black bars are hidden (and some of the picture in the other dimension is not shown). This is very useful when the aspect ratio of the picture is different to the aspect ratio of the screen.

For example: Many of my camera's images are 3:2 but my screen is 16:9. I would like to easily hide the black bars on the left and right and view the image "full screen" and cut off a little of the top and bottom of the image.

You could have one mode where it is zoomed so black bars in either dimension are hidden, one where just the top ones are hidden, and one where just the left/right ones are hidden.

I am thinking that you can enter/exit this mode, a little similar to the [enter] key which changes the zoom mode to 1:1.

Thanks and keep up the great work!
Ian
ianb

Re: Zoom / fit / remove black bars letterbox mode

Postby Axel on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:02 pm

That's a pretty good idea. Actually the internal computations already take the border/no-border situation into account and of course maintain the proper aspect ratio in all cases so it's quite easy to wire up a keyboard shortcut to surface this functionality.

[Shift+Enter] seem most appropriate to toggle this mode on and off, a state which will be remembered across sessions and overridable from the command-line.

What I won't do, however, is a preference scheme where the user can elect to remove only this border or that one, depending on condition X or Y: I hope you understand the fine line between general usefulness and feature creep 8-)
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Build 1.9.259.0 introduces a new center-crop mode (toggled by [Shift+Enter]).
Axel
Site Admin

Postby ianb on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Works great - thank you very much!
ianb

Return to Suggestions