transparent png background color

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

transparent png background color

Postby thibaud on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:33 pm

I find the black color displayed as background on transparent png rather unusual.
a checkered background would be great.
if a checkered bg is not planned, would it be possible to have it displayed on a white background instead ?
I understand that the default background of the viewer is black yet having a different color for the transparent pixels would help visualize the boundaries of the image.
thibaud

Re: transparent png background color

Postby Axel on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Checkered might come later as an option, but it's a low priority item as FPV is mainly geared towards color-managed DSLR photo viewing/rating.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby thibaud on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 pm

ok.
if dslr photo viewing is the target usage, will upcoming formats (.tga, .exr, .psd) support be abandoned ?
thibaud

Postby Axel on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:42 pm

No, certainly not. FPV uses WIC codecs for image access and if new decoders gets released the Professional edition will support them automagically.

Basically, anyone could write decoders for any existing or new image format (e.g. new camera raw format, formats used in the CG industry, medical imaging...) and the program is likely to support them readily, without any change. FastPictureViewer will also get enhanced to support color-managed HDR display modes whenever they become available.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby thibaud on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Cool, do you have any information or eta on the current development progress of these decoders (.tga, .exr, .psd) ?
thanks for the quick support :D
thibaud

Postby Axel on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Unfortunately no. I have a half-done TGA decoder here but it's not actively worked on. The other formats are planned/developped by a 3rd party and I've no idea about their expected release schedule.

For PSD, a company called LeadTOOLS has something, but I don't know how practical it is. Last time I tried, it supported only an ancient version of the PSD specification and the codec only came buried in a (very) expensive package aimed at developers and subject to redistribution royalties.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:44 am

There is some hope for the PSD format: Microsoft has developed a very potent PSD codec for their Expression Blend 3.0 product. At this time (July 2009) it is unclear if the codec will be available separately, but FPV Pro can open Photoshop files saved with the "Maximize compatibility" option as a side effect of installing Expression Blend 3.

UPDATE: the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack supports PSD in both 32-bit and 64-bit environments.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:59 pm

The Truevision TARGA (TGA) WIC codec made some good progress: it can now open most TGA variants (8 and 16-bit grayscale, 15, 16, 24, 32-bit color and 8-bit indexed with 15, 16, 24 and 32-bit colormap, all of them with or without compression). It will only read files initially (no write support).
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:09 pm

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

(PSD, TGA, DDS, EXR, J2K, JP2 and all raw formats, plus thumbnails for most INDD, AI, EPS files)
Axel
Site Admin

Postby slaj on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 pm

selecting a rgb color for transparent would be a really great. i have now many images with black text on it on transparent png background, obviously I can't see anything...
slaj

Next

Return to Suggestions