Ability to Change Background Color

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Ability to Change Background Color

Postby Gnintendo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:10 am

As you develop into images that support transparency having a black background isn't always optimal. I simply suggest the ability to change the background in the options somewhere. The problem is, while rare, sometimes your .png with mostly transparency may have a black object (totally black, usually vector art) and you can't see it at all. While not common, the problem should be addressed.
Gnintendo

Re: Ability to Change Background Color

Postby Axel on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:23 pm

I was thinking of something along the "checkered" background that is often used in viewers or editors supporting transparency, just "behind" the picture area itself. The problem is it ruins the look of most transparent images like icons and PNGs, 99.9% of them looks a lot better on black, and the remaining fractional percent are the ones you describe, i.e. computer-generated black-on-transparent images.

Another option would be to allow some shade of gray for the entire background, but this would not solve the gray-on-transparent PNGs, etc.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Gnintendo on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Axel wrote:I was thinking of something along the "checkered" background that is often used in viewers or editors supporting transparency, just "behind" the picture area itself. The problem is it ruins the look of most transparent images like icons and PNGs, 99.9% of them looks a lot better on black, and the remaining fractional percent are the ones you describe, i.e. computer-generated black-on-transparent images.

Another option would be to allow some shade of gray for the entire background, but this would not solve the gray-on-transparent PNGs, etc.

There could be a key board short-cut that opens up the color picker (or a similar rendition created by you) that would change the background color temporarily just for that session?
Gnintendo

Postby sim on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:48 pm

I'd really like to see this also. Certain images can have quite complex transparencies, displaying on black only can hide issues.

Having a quick way to cycle between black > 18 % grey > white > a custom colour would be excellent... the custom colour could be set in the options screen and a keyboard shortcut to change the background colour ...Alt + C or something similar?
sim

Return to Suggestions