Warning during install about restart required useless?

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Warning during install about restart required useless?

Postby EricB on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:26 pm

When I update FPV on my Win8.1 (or previously Win7 and Win8.0), I regularly get warning that the services are currently in used and continuing the install would require a new start.
This is confusing since no new start is needed: the new FPV works flawless after the upgrade.
I have a general impression of most software that still ask for a new start actually don't need it!
EricB

Re: Warning during install about restart required useless?

Postby Axel on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 am

Most of the time, one or more of the codecs are loaded (by Explorer, the Search Indexer, or other parts of Windows). The installer cannot replace files that are in use and schedules them for replacement on next restart.

Fortunately, most FPV updates are not breaking, i.e. the program works fine with the previous version of the codecs so an immediate reboot is not absolutely necessary.

Still, the message appears for a reason. If you ignore it, and (say) install yet another version of FPV, the installation might be left in an undertermined state.

As a general rule, you should observe the recommendation to reboot, at least restart at your earliest convenience.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions