Overexposure Highlighting

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Overexposure Highlighting

Postby Web_Engel on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 pm

congratulations on a greeat picture viewer. This could be the most useful tool in my image workflow.

Unfortunately, one must-have feature is missing: To highlight overexposed areas!

This determines a good rating or a deletion candidate or a picture that needs output in black and white. Also, in an exposure bracket row, this determines the one to keep and the two deletion candidates.

The histogram is not sufficient for this purpose. I don't care about blown highlights in light sources or reflections. I do care about blown faces.

Ideal would be blinking in the color of the overexposed channel. Green blinking means green channel is at 255; white then means all channels are at 255. This is helpful to determine whether a portrait is useful. Red blinking in a face means red channel is overexposed, so from a raw picture, one can still obtain a good bw shot by using the green and blue channels. White blinking in a face means that all channels are overexposed, so this is a deletion candidate.

Highlight blinking should be enabled with a key. This allows for highlighting over- and underexposed areas still with color information.

For a first cull of images, the three things to check are overall image quality, sharpness and correct exposure. At present, FPV covers two: The sharpness check is the best on the market, FPV's speed makes it also the best tool to assess overall image quality. Just the exposure is missing.

What do you think?

Re: Overexposure Highlighting

Postby Axel on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:48 pm

This is an excellent suggestion, formulated in a very motivating way. Actually, such a feature is on the todo list for a long time, it was added when reviewing the features of certain other applications (in this case ViewNX). Over/Under highlights and AF points overlays will be added at some point in the future.
Site Admin

Postby malch on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:44 am

This was indeed a terrific suggestion. I shall look forward to this enhancement in due course.

Postby MichaelEzra on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:19 pm

Adding a focusing area overlay will be a very welcome feature indeed!

Postby FPVP on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 pm

As an additional idea, would it would be possible to add an option to see overexposed areas in the RAW file, not just the JPG?

Return to Suggestions