Showing rating in review image

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Showing rating in review image

Postby tko on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:34 pm

I was on of the original pre-beta reviewers, I was the original suggester of the original XMP rating concept, and sent you guys test images to work on, glad to see you've come so far and fast. At any rate, about the only thing I see missing now is that the assigned rating does not show anywhere on the image. I frequently have to review up to 3000 images, that's why I need FPV, but I can't review everything in one sitting, and I like to go over everything a second time. So, I need to see what I've previously rated an image, and possible sort by ratings (it's a lot easier to re-check the assigned rating if you sort by rating, check all the 1's, the 2's, then the 5's, etc.)

Imagine that you've rated 500 imagines in a folder, take a break, come back and loose your place (maybe the program got shut down, crash, etc.). Where do you start in again?

Yes, when shooting National level sports on 16 GB CF cards I can shoot thousands of images a day, not very practical to break them up in smaller folders, would disturb my existing workflow a lot.

So

(1) show rating, colors, etc. on image somewhere as an option
(2) allow a sort order or filter based on rating
(3) maybe add a filter to exclude images already rated

or some functional equivalents

thanks

Kevan
tko

Re: showing rating in review image

Postby tko on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:04 pm

I now see that you've already replied to a similar question, and that you plan on adding a floating window for ratings. That sounds great, keep my corresponding suggestions in mind.

On my exclusively photo oriented system, consisting of three 22" monitors set to 1600X1200, I can barely see the text on the bottom that does actually show the rating - it's basically invisible to me for any practical purpose. That's a Windows problem; when you set high resolutions, text becomes really tiny. If it's not black on white it becomes close to unreadable, so keep that in mind w/any text strings at the bottom.
tko

Re: showing rating in review image

Postby Axel on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Sorting on rating is a nice suggestion, but keep in mind that rating will not move the image around, the sort will be dont when the images are first scanned and will stay for the duration of the session.

Imagine that you've rated 500 imagines in a folder, take a break, come back and loose your place (maybe the program got shut down, crash, etc.). Where do you start in again?

The program can re-open the last folder and seek to the last viewed image if the "Automatically reopen the last picture folder" option is checked (see the 6th option in Options->Misc). This solves the case where you exit the program or shutdown Windows in the middle of a session (e.g. due to empty laptop batteries).

As for crashing, FPV is used by tens of thousands of persons everyday (judging from the hits on the opt-in automatic version update check) and we did not get any crash report for months (save for one that was caused by the user himself, messing up with his system files) so I doubt it is a common or even significant cause of interruption.

If you use the Pro version you can set up to 10 bookmarks in the image list and those are saved when the program exits. Bookmarks makes it easy to quickly jump back to a previously marked spot on the image list, no matter how many images are in the current folder tree. They can be used to mark the point where you left, or any "point of interest", e.g. a particular subsequence in the image stream etc, where you may want to return at a later time.

As you found out already, a larger display of rating/label/urgency is in the cards already. It's just a matter of finding the time but it will appear at some point in the future.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Showing rating in review image

Postby FPVP on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Maybe make the ratings and labels more visible - like those small windows for histogram and such ... currently, they are hard to see.

Also, i realy would need a feature to restrict images shown in FPVP by rating / label.

I mean, sorting images is a multiple-run work for me - get the * first, then look for **, for ***, then **** and only then, get the *****

But that requires to restrict the images shown to a configurable selection of ratings and / or labels.

If that was understandable :)
FPVP

Postby Axel on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:56 am

Larger display is planned and filtering might come in a future version.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Axel on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Postby DimmY on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am

Axel, сheck email, please.
DimmY

Return to Suggestions