Version-aware installer

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Version-aware installer

Postby Fleet Command on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi.

Today, I was looking at my Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel when I realized that all versions of FastPictureViewer that I have ever installed are listed there, as a separate product!

This is very strange to me: All applications that have seen until now have installers that fully replaces the old installation or at least uninstalls it automatically before installing ther newer version. Most importantly, in case of MSI installers, when click on a more recent version of an installer and click uninstall, it uninstalls the existing version, regardless of whether it is older or newer.

But in case of FastPictureViewer, it is not so: Each installer package seems to have different package globally-unique identification number and considers itself completely separate from the slightly older build!

So, I'd like to submit my suggestion for a version-aware installer.

Thanks in advance
Fleet Command

Re: Version-aware installer

Postby Axel on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Something must be broken on your particular computer's Windows Installer.

EDIT: I've checked several different machines now and I could not see this on any of them. Perhaps something went wrong with an install or uninstall of an old version of the viewer?

I suggest to uninstall all those "old" versions (there is only one installed version of program anyway, this duplication is in the Installer's database) then install the current version. This should cure the problem.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Fleet Command on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:21 am

So... let me verify: Please answer with yes and no:
1. In your tests, if you install FastPictureViewer build 117 and then right-click on a FastPictureViewer build 119 MSI package "FastPictureViewer.MSI" and click Uninstall, FastPictureViewer build 117 is recognized and uninstalled?

2. In your tests, if you install FastPictureViewer 117 and then install FastPictureViewer 119, do you only get one single entry in Add/Remove Programs in control panel?

If the answer to both is positive, I shall withdraw my suggestion with an apology.

Thanks in advance for taking your time.
Fleet Command

Postby Zero3K on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 am

Speaking of having a version-aware installer, I would like it if the installer noticed that an old version was installed when installing a newer one and offer to upgrade that version with whatever settings that were used to install it.
Zero3K

Postby Axel on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Former settings (i.e. install customizations) are now remembered, starting from build 223.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions