Keypress to decode and display Raw when looking at jpg

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Keypress to decode and display Raw when looking at jpg

Postby Talkiet on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 pm

When I am doing a first run through my shooting for the day (I shoot RAW) I am looking for composition, exposure (to a degree), sharpness and accuracy of focus. If all these are OK, then it goes into my "Process now" or "Keep" categories.

Occasionally the jpg preview embedded in the CR2s (from a 1ds2 and 1dIII) don't give a full indication of whether I really nailed the focus.

I COULD set FPV up to always decode the RAW in full, but this would be very slow.

It would be great while racing through the embedded jpg previews to have a single button which would decode the raw and show that...

So when I come across a pic I need to examine more closely, I hit "R" (or whatever) and it takes a few seconds and displays the decoded RAW instead of jpg. I rat eht pic and carry on, with it loading the next embedded RAW.

Yes I could shoot raw+jpg but that has buffer implications and I hate running out of buffer in the middle of a crash!

Sound simple? Sound useful? Sound like something you could sneak in?

Cheers - N
Talkiet

Re: Keypress to decode and display Raw when looking at jpg

Postby H2k- on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:06 pm

This would be a very interessting feature indeed!
H2k-

Postby Axel on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Yes that sounds simple and useful... The embedded JPEG has all the camera processing applied and the "correct" WB. On the other hand the raw converted image has no NR nor sharpening applied and the WB might not be accurate, so it might not look "as good" as the camera-processed JPEG, but for focus check it might be better, in particular with cameras writing a half resolution JPEG previews, as some Canon DSLRs did before the EOS MkIV.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Talkiet on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 am

HI there - I just downloaded and installed the newest version (132) with the "R" key raw switcher and It doesn't work for me. I just can't get the program to display the fullsized Raw.

The "R" key doesn't appear in the help screen either so I am wondering if I have somehow gotten a screwed up install?

I have tried ith with Canon 1dMk2 and 1dMk3 files...

With the codec pack, I have tried forcing the jpg extract on and off... FPV functions in both cases by respecting the codec setting - but doesn't let me switch from jpg preview to raw or raw to jpg preview.

Am I doing something silly?

Cheers - Neil G
Talkiet

Postby Axel on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:44 am

Did you try a later build? I think the 'R' function should work fine now, but keep in mind that this preview vs. raw thing is a feature enabled when using our own codecs and requires some private talks between the viewer and the codec, as such it will not work when using 3rd-party or manufacturers codecs.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby sckpsn on Sat May 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Is the 'R' function one photo at a time?

Would it be possible to turn it on or off - in case one wanted to view a group of photos in RAW mode?

I see the EXIF Metadata Info panel displays RAW when it is in use. Nice!

Thank you.
sckpsn

Postby Axel on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:13 am

Yes it's one image at a time. However there is a registry setting that let you set a threshold that the program uses to decide to display the preview image or go for a full raw conversion. If you set the threshold to be lower than the size of your embedded jpegs the program will convert the raw bits instead. See this post:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=289
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions