Language choice

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Language choice

Postby WOEHAA on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:46 am

Instead of looking at the system settings, I really, really would like to set the application language myself.
Yes, I'm Dutch. Yes, I use a Dutch layout (because of some of the letter combination's), but I nevertheless prefer to use all my software with English as the interface language.
Partly because 99% of the software can be used with the same set of menu items, with the same order in the menu's.
Mostly because English is IMHO the preferred computer interface language (and definitely not Dutch!)

Now I am stuck with the typical dumb translations of English menu items (this is common for all software)

Please let me choose the default language. Not by using a command line, that doesn't work when I dbl click an image instead of using the edited shortcut on my desktop. (Personally I think that is pretty useless suggestion / option)

Kind regards and thank you for your time,

Henk
WOEHAA

Re: Language choice

Postby Axel on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Just uncheck the "Localization Files" option during setup. The default works for 99.9% of users, but installing the translations is entirely optional and the choice to do so is given during setup.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby thibaud on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm glad it is now part of the installer option.
the registry key wasn't an elegant solution.
;)
But I just feel the need to chime in, regarding that 99.9% which can't be right...in regard to :
The number of request on this very forum regarding the issue.
as a reference, about 70% of computer users in my direct entourage use a native input layout, while leaving the default language to English.
thibaud

Postby Axel on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Yes, you are absolutely right, 99.9% can't be correct! As of January 2010, the program was downloaded about 562'000 times, and 0.1% of that is 562. Given about 5-6 such requests, it's more like 99.999% 8-) (assuming of course that every concerned user did actually report something here). Joke aside, the setup option was introduced some months ago and should cover most exceptional cases by allowing English-only.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby WOEHAA on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
I will try your advise this evening by re-installing the software.

Hopefully I am one of the 99,9% :)

Grtz

Henk
WOEHAA

Return to Suggestions