Auto update

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Auto update

Postby jebac on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Axel hi.

I have one suggestion that would improve your wonderful program.
The only missing feature, that quite bothers me, is auto-update. Because you improve FPV almost on everyday basis, I have no time to download it and install it every time to have the recent version. Wouldn't be easier that user can click on "update" and that program do this in background (with just restart of app)?

Regards
jebac

Re: Auto update

Postby Axel on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:31 pm

This is a good suggestion. At first we tought it was a bit too invasive to download updates automatically so we opted for a simple (and optional) notification system. The program kept notifying users until they updated but some users complained that it was too much notifications, so we later reduced it to a single "balloon message" that can easily be ignored. We also avoid problems with some AV and security software that tends to block software that download stuff.

That said, most weekly updates are relatively minor and nothing forces users to install all of them, you can get the current version for example every month or every other month, or only when we release a feature (or bug fix) that directly affects your workflow.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby jebac on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:50 pm

I thought that it's complicated to work with security software, but nevertheless if you can integrate this option in one of future releases I would be more than happy.
Thanks.
jebac

Postby bart willems on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:06 am

An auto update would be incredible sweet but not really required. However, the update balloon is very persistent and pops up on an almost daily basis. It's nice to see that work is being done on the picture viewer, but every update means getting rid of the desktop icon, cleaning up my start menu, etc. It gets tiresome.

Of course I can turn off the update check but now I will be oblivious of any update. My suggestion is, for starters, to have the ability to let the program check for new versions on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.

That way you will still know that there's a new version available, without having to go through the daily update process. And it would be a check that (easy for the man who doesn't have to do it himself, I admit) is fairly easy to implement (as opposed to a fully in the background auto update)
bart willems

Return to Suggestions