[Codec Pack] Thumbnails colour correction

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

[Codec Pack] Thumbnails colour correction

Postby Andre on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey there.

The suggestion is as the title states, colour correction of the thumbnails. Assuming that the thumbnails, just like the actual image, are parsed through the codec it should be possible. So, is it possible? If not, oh well, not a big problem. Otherwise would been nice to have for us folks with Adobe RGB monitors.

Also, something a bit different, did you think about live time purchase of some kind for the codec?
Andre

Re: [Codec Pack] Thumbnails colour correction

Postby Axel on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Thumbnails are made by Windows and are displayed as they are stored in the system's thumbnail cache, and Windows applies some color conversion (to sRGB) if the image lives in a different color space, so for example, ProPhoto images looks reasonably good.

Codecs does not have much to do with color management, it's an application-level thing and in this instance the application is the Windows shell: for a color-managed desktop you need to wait for a future version of Windows (and you should actually request this from Microsoft...)

Not sure about your 2nd suggestion, could you please elaborate?
Axel
Site Admin

Re: [Codec Pack] Thumbnails colour correction

Postby Andre on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

As for the pricing. What I was thinking of is you could charge a premium price for life time upgrades. If I understand correctly you have to pay every year to keep up to date with new versions. However personally I can't justify paying the same price every year for addition of a couple of new formats (besides support and bug fixes of course). But don't get me wrong, I think what you guys are doing is great by making so many formats easy to access and view. I just think there can be a slightly more attractive model. Maybe those who already paid previously, get a reasonable upgrade price.

Also, since there is no protection aren't you worried that it could end up being pirated very easily? Although everything eventually gets out there, but I thought a nifty way of verifying is for example Jeffrey’s Flickr Lightroom plugin. He simply uses paypal transaction ID to verify the validity of the purchase/donation. No idea how it works exactly, but obviously it works.
Andre

Return to Suggestions