User Defined Sharpness - RAW and JPG from RAW

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

User Defined Sharpness - RAW and JPG from RAW

Postby sckpsn on Sat May 08, 2010 3:47 pm

I will be the first to say I don't want FPV bogged down with bloat - so this suggestion may fall into that category. If so ignore it.

I see many are using FPV to initially inspect ("keep" / "delete") their photos. I am starting to make this part of my workflow. If one has all of the top of the line lenses, this may not be an issue and judging sharpness/focus based on the RAW or even the JPG from the RAW is easy. I have found it is not as easy on some of the lenses I own. However, if I bring the image into Lightroom - where sharpness is applied - and the user can modify the sharpness, judging the sharpness/focus is easier.

Ideally - one could turn this feature off or on.

Thanks.
sckpsn

Re: User Defined Sharpness - RAW and JPG from RAW

Postby malch on Sun May 09, 2010 6:03 pm

At least with Nikon DSLR's... the key is to set the in-camera sharpness setting appropriately. This has no impact on the RAW data per se but it is applied when the JPEG previews are made. It's those JPEG previews that you are reviewing on the camera LCD and when quickly browsing the images with FPV.

So my suggestion is... tweak your camera sharpness setting so that you can best evaluate the images based on the JPEG previews. For RAW shooters, that camera setting really has no other useful purpose.
malch

Postby Axel on Sun May 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Good suggestion regarding camera settings. I was thinking that sharpening the images in FPV pretty much defeats the purpose of the 1:1 sharpness check, which shows nothing but the truth. On the other hand, I see how sharpening might be useful in assessing how the image could look, once the appropriate post-processing is applied. Bumping the sharpening in-camera is an excellent solution: the amount is user-configurable and it only affects the embedded JPEG preview and standalone JPEG files, as noted above.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby sckpsn on Tue May 11, 2010 2:05 am

malch -

Thank you very much for this extremely helpful information!

I modified the settings in my Canon this evening and could see the difference on the camera LCD screen and in FPV.
sckpsn

Return to Suggestions