Move instead of copy?

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Move instead of copy?

Postby EricB on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Hello,
I am currently evaluating FPV as part of my workflow. As many other users, I am particularly interested of using it to select/order my pictures (CR2 from my 7D)
The "keep/copy" feature looks great for that, BUT instead of a copy of my pictures, I'd like to move them!
Would it be possible to alter the behavior via an option?
Actually, I'd like to move my selection to a sub folder "selection" of my current one, without specifying it in any folder. Any chance to have that?

The Move files based on XMP rating? suggestion is a nice alternative.
But I am not a big fan of sidecars files (.xmp): I am e.g. Geosetter because exiftools writes directly into my Cr2. On the other side, doing it in FPV is faster....
EricB

Re: Move instead of copy?

Postby Axel on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 pm

To move the file just hold the [Alt] key when pressing K or clicking the Keep/Copy menu.

The keep/copy destination folder is an absolute path. If your pictures are in, say, C:\Pictures you can set it to C:\Pictures\Selection but (currently) not to ".\Selection", i.e. relative to the folder containing the image being viewed, although this is a good idea and might be added in a future version.

The File Utilities plug-in (F key) can copy/move files to relative locations, however, and can act on files according to numerous criteria (not only XMP rating). You could use another flag, for example mark the keepers for publishing using the P key, then build a "Move" rule using that flag as condition and have the batch processor move all marked files at once for you. The drawback is that the Publish flag is transient, i.e. it does not persist across sessions, so you'd have to run the batch job before exiting the program.

Another way would be to use the XMP rating system and let the program create sidecars next to your raw files, then make two rules for the batch processor: the first rule would copy the files to the ".\Selection" relative subfolder and the second rule would delete the original file just copied and the XMP sidecar, leaving no clutter behind. In fact you can create as many rules as needed to perform almost anything with the files, you could for example add another rule in between the above two to copy the keepers to a second location, say on another drive for backup purpose, and add yet another rule to delete all unrated files, or only those with a rating below a certain value that you chose. You can then save this set of rules and give it a name, making it easy to recall the entire task at a later time.

The batch processor should be able to cope with nearly all workflows one way or another. I warmly recommend that you spend some time exploring the possibilities as part of your evaluation, perhaps starting from the turorial.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby EricB on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Thank you for your answer.
I ve just updated my FPV copy and saw the [Alt] in the quick help too.
The file utilities plug-in looks impressive.
Concerning the xmp rating, I just found a way: I find it convenient to rate my pictures in FPV.
Then, I go back to Geosetter (which I am using for geo sync + IPTC), which reads the rating from the sidecars file and writes it into the cr2 file (thanks to Phil Harvey' ExifTool), so I can remove the xmp file afterwards.
EricB

Postby Axel on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 pm

..one of the benefits of industry standards, in this case XMP and EXIF, is inter-operability of compliant applications!
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions