Windows 7 task bar still visible in full screen operation

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Windows 7 task bar still visible in full screen operation

Postby Macguyver on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:42 am

Recently upgraded to Windows 7. I'm astonished at the speed of your 64 bit version.

However, I'm having a heck of a time getting the full screen version to work in Windows 7. Even with F11 pressed, the windows task bar is still visible. I much preferred how FPV ran on XP, where it had a true full screen display. Do you have a fix planned for this?

Also, any movement on that eagerly awaited random slideshow feature? It sounded like you were considering it.
Macguyver

Re: Windows 7 task bar still visible in full screen operation

Postby Axel on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Macguyver wrote:Recently upgraded to Windows 7. I'm astonished at the speed of your 64 bit version.

FPV is actually meant to be run like this, i.e. the 64-bit version on a 64-bit system with a few processor cores to spare and fast disks. The program does not need all this power, but it uses it when available. The 32-bit edition works fine on 32-bit systems too, but x64 is the real deal :-)

Macguyver wrote:the windows task bar is still visible

The full-screen behavior is the same as on XP, just hit F11 again and it should "fix" itself.

Pseudo-random slide-show is still being considered, but it requires some internal changes as there is no point in preloading images that will probably not get displayed, so it's not as easy as it sounds (the program would need to preload the "random" sequence instead of the next image(s)). Not sure when it will appear but it's still being consideded.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 task bar still visible in full screen operatio

Postby Macguyver on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Axel wrote:The full-screen behavior is the same as on XP, just hit F11 again and it should "fix" itself.

Hmm, I've been using the latest 64 bit version for the past week, and F11 definitely does not hide the Windows toolbar, unlike my XP installation which did display a true fullscreen. I wonder what could be causing this? There are other people who are also noticing this behaviour.

I'm very glad that you're considering ways to implement random slide-show functionality and I appreciate the complexity of coding this feature. The potential of combining the raw horsepower of your display engine with pseudo random ordering would be such a great feature and I hope you can find a way to achieve this. There are many situations which call for being able to display a range of images fullscreen to a client or to even myself, and countless times I've found that linear viewing order is significantly constraining.

Nonetheless, incredible coding. I wish other software was developed as tightly in terms of usability, performance and features. I hope that you are able to continue taking this software further.
Macguyver

Postby EricB on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:48 pm

I had also the issue (win7 task bar still visible) on my laptop. I had to press F11 twice so that it disappear.
I've disabled GPU acceleration (anyway not supported on Intel GMA, I got a warning message at startup.
Now, the task bar is hidden directly on start.
EricB

Postby Macguyver on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:42 pm

EricB wrote:I had also the issue (win7 task bar still visible) on my laptop. I had to press F11 twice so that it disappear.
I've disabled GPU acceleration (anyway not supported on Intel GMA, I got a warning message at startup.
Now, the task bar is hidden directly on start.

OK, I've isolated exactly what causes this problem on my machine in the hope that this can help track down this bug.
(By the way, disabling GPU acceleration has no effect on my machine to make the windows task bar disappear, no matter how many times F11 is pressed.)

The problem occurs when you set your screen resolution to 150% in windows 7, which is necessary on my laptop if I have any chance of seeing small print on my micro-screen. I had another program which was exhibiting this same bug, an older version of ACDSee. It had the same problem, full screen viewing always had the Windows task bar visible. After choosing ACDSee's compatibility tab I deselected "display scaling on high DPI settings" and boom, the windows taskbar bug disappeared.

Unfortunately, on the 64 bit version of Fast Picture Viewer, the "dispaly scaling on high DPI settings" button is greyed out on the compatibility tab, since it's a 64 bit program. I'm quite sure this is where the problem is happening.
Macguyver

Return to Suggestions