Option to change up/down key behavior

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Option to change up/down key behavior

Postby vvicked on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:54 am

It would be nice to have a setting to change the behavior of the up/down key. I would like to be able to switch between the current implementation of beginning/end or treat is the same as the left and right key. I find myself (and anyone that uses my computer) to always accidentally hit up/down and lose their browsing position. Since there is already the Home and End key on the keyboard, I would rather use those keys instead.
vvicked

Re: Option to change up/down key behavior

Postby Axel on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Actually, there is a difference between home/end and up/down keys: the former jumps to the first/last image within the current folder while up/down move to the previous/next folder in the folder tree, very useful when browsing organized folder hierarchies.

You can use the spacebar to move forward and cut the "problem" in half, or cure it entirely by also using the backspace key to move backwards (or shift+space, or shift+tab). On full-size keyboards you can just as well use +/- at the far right.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby vvicked on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:58 pm

It's probably not so much of an issue for most people, but I use a compact laptop with a smaller keyboard layout and the arrow keys are small. The main issue for me is not having a full size keyboard on this laptop. I definitely was not suggesting you to change the behavior of the application, specifically for me, as normal operation of up/down is useful and required. I was hoping that there could be a configurable option in the setting (if others have the same issue) or I would be happy with changing a registry entry if there's one mapped to these keys ;)

I never realized what the actual up/down keys did since I disable the setting to automatically browse sub folders. In the event that people like myself disable sub-browsing, the up/down key to switch previous/next folder doesn't really apply.
vvicked

Postby Axel on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Now you have a very good point :!: When the subfolder browsing is disabled in the options the up/down keys currently have no functions and could mirror left/right... probably in the next update...
Axel
Site Admin

Postby vvicked on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:41 pm

Actually, when sub folder browsing is disabled, the up/down keys would make sense to have no function at all (ignore the button press entirely) rather than mimic the left and right keys. Either would be okay with me as both would prevent losing the current browse position when accidentally pressing up/down.
vvicked

Return to Suggestions