Using Multiple Codecs?

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Using Multiple Codecs?

Postby gcoupe on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Since I installed the FastPictureViewer codec to handle my RAW and DNG formats, I think that it has also become the default for JPEG files in place of the Microsoft JPEG codec in Windows 7.

I think that this has had the result of causing JPEG file compression to occur whenever Windows Live Photo Gallery writes out metadata into a JPEG file. See here for more background.

Is it possible to set handling of JPEGs back to the Microsoft codec, while continuing to use the FastPictureViewer codec for RAW and DNG formats?

Thanks,

Geoff Coupe
gcoupe

Re: Using Multiple Codecs?

Postby Axel on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 pm

Yes you can definitely opt-out any codec(s) during installation. Just "red-cross" the one(s) you don't want to install in the feature tree presented during setup.

The Windows Live Photo Gallery issue you mention, where this application sometimes recompresses JPEGs unnecessarily when editing metadata, has its root at a deeper level. Our current replacement JPEG codec works around this issue by disabling itself when it detects certain scenarios and should work fine with Windows Live Photo Gallery 2011.

The root is a general issue regarding all 3rd-party lossy codecs vs. lossless metadata update operations that will probably be cleanly addressed in the future as we believe the relevant teams are aware of the problem.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions