Samsung NX100 SRW RAW?

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Samsung NX100 SRW RAW?

Postby insertrealname on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:51 am

Is the Samsung NX100 SRW format the same as the Samsung NX10, already supported by FPV? Do all the FPV codec features such as auto-rotation in Windows explorer work? Will the metadata editing/display work in Windows Explorer without destroying the embedded EXIF data in the files, on whose unchanged format the RAW developers may depend?

I don't have the camera nor have I tried FPV yet...
insertrealname

Re: Samsung NX100 SRW RAW?

Postby Axel on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 am

We don't support NX100 files just yet, but a quick test with a couple of files revealed that they appear to work just fine with out current Samsung codec. The format is probably very similar to the NX10 files, that we already support.

Auto-rotation is supported for all files where the camera writes the proper EXIF orientation information (this seems to be the case for the NX100).

Files are never written to for any reason so no metadata corruption will ever occur through our present codecs (and the use of the manufacturer software is always recommended to write metadata within raw files).
Axel
Site Admin

Postby insertrealname on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks for such a quick answer.

I think I may be actually confused about how Windows 7 file Explorer adds user-specified metadata (ratings, tags, description, etc.) to RAW files: I'd thought that Windows would use the RAW file WIC codec to add bits and pieces of metadata to the actual file in the formats WIC uses for such data, without reorganizing the RAW file data. So what does Windows use in this case?

For JPEGS, I'd thought that FPV (and Windows Explorer) would actually add some kind of XMP section to the file to carry the user specified, non-EXIF metadata.

I probably have to read more of the FPV information to sort this out...
insertrealname

Postby Axel on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:11 am

Extending the metadata portion within a file (any format) require rewriting the file entirely. This cannot be done through WIC for lossless formats as well as read-only formats (such as raw). Microsoft used a hack to allow lossless file reconstruction when tagging JPEG files, but this will not work for any other format so the answer to your question is: Windows in its present form does not write metadata to raw formats.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby insertrealname on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the information on metadata. I did not finally get the Samsung NX100: nice camera, but not quite what I want.
insertrealname

Return to Suggestions