Photoshop PSB Support

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Photoshop PSB Support

Postby Andre on Sat May 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Any chance of getting support for PSB (Large Document Format). PSB is very much like PSD so I presume it saves a thumbnail in a similar way as well.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photos ... matashtml/
Andre

Re: Photoshop PSB Support

Postby Axel on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Photoshop has a sophisticated tiling mechanism involving "scratch disks", allowing it to work with images much larger than available memory. The problem with the way our codecs operate is that the image must fit in memory at once. With the PSB format, it is easy to create images that would never fit in RAM (for example 65,000 x 65,000 RGB float, requiring 50GB), causing excessive paging and a complete slow down of whole computer.

The PSB format is relatively close to the Photoshop PSD format that we support very well, so it would be possible, but not supporting the PSB file variant is a case of not biting off bigger than we can chew.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby NoelC on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Plesae allow me to renew the request to support the PSB format.

PSB is a format that would be desirable to be used all the time by a Photoshop user for master document files.

Even though the PSB format CAN support very large files, there is no necessity to use it only for large files. When saved as a PSB file, a small document is only marginally larger than when saved as a PSD file.

It seems to me that if the file were too large to load into memory, you could just put up a generic icon or message (e.g., in the viewer) that says the file was too large, but for all the many PSB files that ARE small enough to be viewed, it would represent a great improvement in usability to have the FPV codec pack properly interpret them.

Please reconsider adding PSB support to the FPV codec pack.

Thank you.

-Noel Carboni
NoelC

Postby NoelC on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Just as a reminder - adding PSB support will be almost a 100% reuse of your PSD code.

PSB can be a very good format to use for all files - small and large - BUT for the fact that one cannot see the thumbnails.

Tell you what, if you provide me with a copy of your PSD module I'll be happy to port the code to handle PSB and send you back the result. I'll sign whatever NDA document you require. Please eMail me at NCarboni@ProDigitalSoftware.com if you're interested.

-Noel
NoelC

Postby NoelC on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm the top contributor on the Adobe Photoshop forum and I plug the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack whenever it's appropriate there.

Example: https://forums.adobe.com/message/6531907#6531907

The least you could do is reconsider this request. PSB support is needed, it's not hard to implement, and frankly it's glaring omission in your product.

-Noel
NoelC

Return to Suggestions