New feature (copy/move to multiple folders)

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

New feature (copy/move to multiple folders)

Postby zelenenky on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi,
I'm think, that next new feature will be helpfully:
Additional hot key, assigned with additional folder for copy/move (like "K" button).
I will explain. I'm wedding photographer, and for viewing and selecting pictures from each wedding (1000-2000 pictures) I'm using your program. Bad pictures I'm deleting immediatelly, pictures for following processing for wedding book I'm copying with "K" button, and it would be convenient to have another hot key for copying/moving pictures into different folder. "K" for most important pictures and another button for less important pictures.
Best regards,
Yuriy
zelenenky

Re: New feature (copy/move to multiple folders)

Postby Axel on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:28 pm

This is a good suggestion (that was made before: multiple destination folders for hotkey-based copy/move). I'm planning to add this as a plug-in at some point in the future.

In the meantime you can use a combination of existing feature to achieve the same goal very efficiently: first, enable the XMP rating system in the program options. You can set it up to write ratings inside JPEGs or into external XMP sidecar files, if you prefer to leave your files intact.

Next, you can rate the files when performing your review: for example press 'X' to mark bad ones for deletion, '5' for super good ones, '4' for good ones '3' for OK/maybe, etc, whatever convention suits you. If you press the D key the program will open a small window showing your ratings in big stars.

When you are done reviewing the 1000/2000 images, you can delete all the X-marked ones in batch by pressing Ctrl+X.

You can then run a batch processing rule in about two clicks and copy (or move) all the '5' stars images to a given folder, all the '4' stars to another folder etc etc.

The good things about this technique are

• It's easy, once set-up, and you get exactly what you are looking for: files dispatched to separate folders by rating.
  • You can change your mind while reviewing, i.e. change a file's rating just by pressing the corresponding key, 5, 4, 3, ... as many times as you want. It's much easier and faster than "uncopying" or "unmoving" files physically.
  • You can filter the view (F-key) and only review the '5', or the '4" and the '5' etc, before actually moving/copying anything. You can even press A (or Shift+A) and watch a quick slideshow of the starred ones only.
  • Last but not least, the XMP ratings that you assigned are industry-standard and will be understood by your digital asset manager down the chain: Lightroom, IMatch, IDimager and many others are XMP-aware and will read the 'stars' that you assigned from FastPictureViewer Pro, and if you elected to write the ratings inside JPEGs, Windows Explorer will show you the stars too (starting from Vista and up).
Please see the File Utilities plug-in tutorial on our help page: http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/help/#fileutilities for more information. The plug-in is invoked by pressing Ctrl+F.

It looks a bit intimidating at first, but it's really easy to use: take the plunge, spend 15 minutes studying the tutorial and it will soon become second nature. You will also learn that the plug-in can do a lot more than copying files 8-)
Axel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions