FYI: Free JPEG 2000 Decoder

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

FYI: Free JPEG 2000 Decoder

Postby espresso3389 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 am

I'm not sure whether it's OK or not to introduce such software here but I want to introduce you an experimental and just working JPEG 2000 codec:

http://dev.caminova.jp/beta/jp2-wic/

The codec is completely free and based on JasPer and it tends to take much memory to decode JPEG 2000 but I think it's better than nothing.

P.S. Please remove this post if it's not good to introduce other software here.
espresso3389

Re: FYI: Free JPEG 2000 Decoder

Postby Axel on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 am

The birth of a new WIC-enabled codec it always great news. I'll update the format compatibility page as soon as I get a minute to test the new codec. It would be great to link back to FPV from the codec's page, though.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby espresso3389 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Axel, I've added a link to your site on our JPEG 2000 decoder page anyway.
For DjVu shell extension pack, because it's our official site, it takes little more time (and consideration) to link back to your site. Please wait for me little more.
espresso3389

Postby Axel on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:35 pm

Great. At the moment the JPEG 2000 codec is a bit too slow for prime time IMHO, but is seems to work which is a good start. Let me know when you reach 1.0 so I can update the links.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby malch on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:26 pm

It's good to see more WIC Codecs showing up. Thanks.

I'm beginning to wonder about the management of same. Is anyone aware of a utility that will enumerate the list of installed codecs and their version #? A WIC equivalent to this handy tool would be very nice:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html
malch

Postby Axel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm

...more codecs soon: I'll be adding a Rawzor codec to the pack in the next version, for starters (Rawzor takes your raws and compresses them in a proprietary format that shaves a good percentage of their size, thanks to a clever compression algorithm they developed. Caveat: the files are not "images" anymore, but this new codec is going to fix that by allowing previewing and metadata extraction directly on Rawzor-compressed files).

A management tool may be a good idea. It should not be too hard to implement enumeration and display as WIC has a built in component enumerator. Not sure about enabling/disabling though (don't think WIC supports that), but berhaps with a bit of creativity?
Axel
Site Admin

Postby malch on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Axel wrote:A management tool may be a good idea. It should not be too hard to implement enumeration and display as WIC has a built in component enumerator. Not sure about enabling/disabling though (don't think WIC supports that), but berhaps with a bit of creativity?

This would be cool. I don't think an enable/disable feature is really necessary, at least not before we start to run into overlapping/conflicting codecs.
malch

Return to User-to-User