Zooming/Panning in discrete steps using the keyboard.

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Zooming/Panning in discrete steps using the keyboard.

Postby laurenznitert on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi,

just a suggestion that would at least for me be ueber nice!

Zooming in/out x% by pressing [+]/[-]

if zoomed in:

Panning left, right, up, down by pressing corresponding arrow keys or perhaps even the numeric pads [8], [4], [2] and [6].

Maybe this is already possible and I missed it?

Regards,
Laurenz
laurenznitert

Re: Zooming/Panning in discrete steps using the keyboard.

Postby Axel on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:13 pm

The only keyboard zooming function at this time (v1.0.62.0) is the [Enter] key, which toggle the 100% mode in and out. From there you can pan in large steps using [Ctrl+Arrows].
Axel
Site Admin

Postby shawn8888 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:20 am

hi, Axel

I am using 1.00 build 70 home basic version.

Zooming function is very important and FPV needs a lot improvement about this.
First, it does not support smooth zoom in. (You have to set a fix percentage in options to do that) Zoom out is not smooth. Also, I can not find a way to lock the zoom percentage.

Second, there is no pan lock key. To lock the pan, you have to hold the mouse, which is very inconvenient. In ACDSee, you can press L key to lock the pan and press it again to unlock.

I have to admit, I am very impressed by the speed of FPV. But speed is not all I am looking for. You really need to improve other basic viewing features to gain more users.
shawn8888

Postby Axel on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:51 pm

I see your points but it is the way zooming was designed in FPV. As a user I don't see the point in zoom animation (if it's what you refer to as smooth zoom). I prefer instantaneous in and out zooming and this is how the program was designed to behave.

If you refer to pixel smoothing, the program deliberately scales pixels in integral increments (2x, 3x, 4x etc) and no pixel smoothing is applied as it ruins the very purpose of the zoom function, which is to quickly assess sharpness of high resolution DSLR images. With pixel smoothing the zooming beyond 100% would becomes useless for that purpose.

As for "zooming out", i.e. fit large pictures in the current window, the program uses linear filtering in software rendering mode. This does not produce the best possible output but it's the only way to achieve near-instantaneous resizing. In hardware accelerated mode the program uses multisampling which produces a reasonable output without aliasing, comparable to bicubic filtering offered by most viewers, only 1000x quicker for truly instantaneous in/out zooming.

FPV is a culling tool, it is designed to help quickly decide if a picture is worth keeping or not and speed is a key design goal for all of its features. Admittedly, they may not be optimal for general viewing, fortunately there are numerous alternative with richer feature sets, starting with Windows's own built-in Photo Gallery.

About panning, you can lock/unlock the 100% viewing mode with the Enter key. On 102 keys desktop keyboards it's easy and quick to reach the numeric keypad's Enter key with the thumb without even looking down (assuming you are right-handed and holding the mouse on the right side of the keyboard).
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Pixel smoothing in zoom modes

Postby Axel on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:57 pm

..on the other hand, since FPV is somewhat evolving towards a more general purpose viewing tool, look for an optional pixel smooting function in a future release..
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Osmium on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Hello Axel,

Why there is no other fixed discrete steps for zoom but only 100%?
Of course I can use LMB/RMB for 100/300% zoom in but why I can't use fixed 131% of zoom?! It's really annoying me :D
Osmium

Postby Axel on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:55 am

Zooming is done in integral increments, 1/2, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, etc.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Osmium on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Axel wrote:Zooming is done in integral increments, 1/2, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, etc.

What build will include this implementation?
Osmium

Postby Axel on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 pm

This is how it always worked. 200% is 2x, 300% is 3x, etc.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Osmium on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Axel wrote:This is how it always worked. 200% is 2x, 300% is 3x, etc.

Nope. What hotkey (or mouse button) I should use? If you told about "Magnification" parameter in options - that's not what I'm asking about!
Osmium

Next

Return to Suggestions