Windows Live Photo Gallery and 3rd party jgeg codecs?

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Windows Live Photo Gallery and 3rd party jgeg codecs?

Postby Samizdat on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 am

I am interested in buying your codec pack (for use with Windows 7 Pro) but I also plan to install Windows Live Photo Gallery (primarily because I understand it is a requirement for installing Windows Live Movie Maker.) I have read that there was an issue with WLPG silently recompressing jpegs when a 3rd-party jpeg codec is installed, as you explained here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=36561223

Can you tell me if this is still an issue? I don't want to use WLPG to automatically tag any of my photos in the first place, and certainly don't want it recompressing jpegs in the background. Do I need to disable/remove the jpeg codec to be safe? I want the codec pack primarily to view Nikon's NEF files.

Thanks.
Samizdat

Re: Windows Live Photo Gallery and 3rd party jgeg codecs?

Postby Axel on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:29 am

As far as we understand, Photo Gallery now disables metadata editing when a 3rd party JPEG codec is installed. This is a bit crude, but it works around the issue. That said, every component in the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is optional: you can opt-out the JPEG auto-rotation feature easily during setup, but you'll lose JPEG auto-rotation in Windows Explorer, Media Center 6.1 and of course Photo Gallery.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Samizdat on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:41 am

Thanks, Axel; that is good to know! I will probably opt out of auto-rotation as you describe, just to play safe. At the risk of sounding dense, I'm not sure what I'd gain by opting to use it anyway. I typically use Nikon's ViewNX to import my photos (RAW or jpeg) and it seems to rotate them all properly from the start.
Samizdat

Postby Axel on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:29 am

Auto-rotation for JPEG is a sorely missing feature in Windows. Most raw codecs in the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack perform automatic rotation of the files they handle and our JPEG auto-rotator does the same for .jpg files.

The only negative side effect is that JPEG metadata editing is currently disabled in one application (for a lack of a better solution). You can still rate and tag JPEGs normally from Windows Explorer while our auto-rotating JPEG codec installed, it disables itself at the appropriate time and the stock JPEG codec gets used instead.

Again, if it bothers you the slightest, just opt-it out during setup! The raw support and the many other formats supported by the Codec Pack are entirely unaffected as this component is optional 8-)
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User